Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Old game/ Old PC = Open GL prob

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 PCwarrior

PCwarrior

• Members
  • 203 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:52 PM

Posted 17 January 2009 - 04:54 PM

Hello! Ive had doom for along time. Ran through the game on med. settings, and with limited walk though help was able to get to the end. But a short time after the completing, My old GF 5500 oc ran out of steam and I replaced the black screen with a E-gate GF 6800 tx w/450 psu. Got lots better gfx performance with NFS titles and all, but DOOM3 crashed again and again. Tried lots of fixes. Old drivers ( bad user interface), new drivers (force ware and others) . Slowly gave up on the prospect of playin the old game.
The resulting ich being unbearable, I went to many sites trying to solve the issue at hand ( even GL site) and still all I get is a blank stair.
Then the 6800 toasted due to fan/heatsink prob most likely( after unpluging dedicated power, PC would boot XP again :thumbsup: )
So now I have a PNY GF 6200 in the agp slot ( temp ) .
The problem;
The game start screen comes up( the one w/play,uninstall,and what not), but when play is selected the screen adjust (black flicker ),then comes back to desk top with this Error;

The current video card / driver combination does not support the necessary features1199 MHz AMD CPU with MMX & 3DNow!
512 MB System Memory
256 MB Video Memory
Winsock Initialized
Hostname: (XXXpc)
IP: (xxx.xxx.xx.xxx)
doom using MMX & 3DNow! for SIMD processing
------ Initializing File System ------
Current search path:
C:\Program Files\Doom 3/base
C:\Program Files\Doom 3\base\pak004.pk4 (5137 files)
C:\Program Files\Doom 3\base\pak003.pk4 (4676 files)
C:\Program Files\Doom 3\base\pak002.pk4 (6120 files)
C:\Program Files\Doom 3\base\pak001.pk4 (8972 files)
C:\Program Files\Doom 3\base\pak000.pk4 (2698 files)
C:\Program Files\Doom 3\base\game00.pk4 (2 files)
game DLL: 0x0 in pak: 0x0
file system initialized.
--------------------------------------
----- Initializing Decls -----
------------------------------
------- Initializing renderSystem --------
using ARB renderSystem
renderSystem initialized.
4966 strings read from strings/english.lang
Couldn't open journal files
execing editor.cfg
execing default.cfg
couldn't exec DoomConfig.cfg
couldn't exec autoexec.cfg
4966 strings read from strings/english.lang
----- Initializing Sound System ------
sound system initialized.
----- R_InitOpenGL -----
Initializing OpenGL subsystem
...registered window class
...registered fake window class
...initializing QGL
...calling LoadLibrary( 'opengl32' ): succeeded
Couldn't find proc address for: wglGetExtensionsStringARB
Couldn't find proc address for: wglSwapIntervalEXT
Couldn't find proc address for: wglGetPixelFormatAttribivARB
Couldn't find proc address for: wglGetPixelFormatAttribfvARB
Couldn't find proc address for: wglChoosePixelFormatARB
Couldn't find proc address for: wglCreatePbufferARB
Couldn't find proc address for: wglGetPbufferDCARB
Couldn't find proc address for: wglReleasePbufferDCARB
Couldn't find proc address for: wglDestroyPbufferARB
Couldn't find proc address for: wglQueryPbufferARB
Couldn't find proc address for: wglBindTexImageARB
Couldn't find proc address for: wglReleaseTexImageARB
Couldn't find proc address for: wglSetPbufferAttribARB
...calling CDS: ok
...created window @ 0,0 (640x480)
Initializing OpenGL driver
...getting DC: succeeded
...attempting to use stereo
...PIXELFORMAT 7 selected
...creating GL context: succeeded
...making context current: succeeded
Couldn't find proc address for: wglGetExtensionsStringARB
Couldn't find proc address for: wglSwapIntervalEXT
Couldn't find proc address for: wglGetPixelFormatAttribivARB
Couldn't find proc address for: wglGetPixelFormatAttribfvARB
Couldn't find proc address for: wglChoosePixelFormatARB
Couldn't find proc address for: wglCreatePbufferARB
Couldn't find proc address for: wglGetPbufferDCARB
Couldn't find proc address for: wglReleasePbufferDCARB
Couldn't find proc address for: wglDestroyPbufferARB
Couldn't find proc address for: wglQueryPbufferARB
Couldn't find proc address for: wglBindTexImageARB
Couldn't find proc address for: wglReleaseTexImageARB
Couldn't find proc address for: wglSetPbufferAttribARB

------- Input Initialization -------
Initializing DirectInput...
mouse: DirectInput initialized.
keyboard: DirectInput initialized.
------------------------------------
sound: STEREO
X..GL_ARB_multitexture not found
X..GL_ARB_texture_env_combine not found
X..GL_ARB_texture_cube_map not found
X..GL_ARB_texture_env_dot3 not found
X..GL_ARB_texture_env_add not found
X..GL_ARB_texture_non_power_of_two not found
X..GL_ARB_texture_compression not found
X..GL_EXT_texture_filter_anisotropic not found
X..GL_EXT_texture_lod not found
X..GL_1.4_texture_lod_bias not found
X..GL_EXT_shared_texture_palette not found
X..GL_EXT_texture3D not found
X..GL_EXT_stencil_wrap not found
X..GL_NV_register_combiners not found
X..GL_EXT_stencil_two_side not found
X..GL_ATI_separate_stencil not found
X..GL_ATI_fragment_shader not found
X..GL_ARB_vertex_buffer_object not found
X..GL_ARB_vertex_program not found
X..GL_ARB_fragment_program not found
ERROR: The current video card / driver combination does not support the necessary features
Error during initialization
Shutting down OpenGL subsystem
...wglMakeCurrent( NULL, NULL ): success
...deleting GL context: success
...releasing DC: success
...destroying window
...resetting display
...shutting down QGL
...unloading OpenGL DLL

I looked here for a fix, and found a thread that suggested going to the games ( ub software site) providders site for fix and tryed them as well. Seems odd that the 5500oc had no issues (other than reduced eye candy)with the game and now this?
I've tryed to load the game with the GF 6200, and get the same error msg.
Other than turning this old pc into a paper weight :flowers: Do ya have any ideas. Thanks for the read, and any resulting thoughts
(new,12/23/09) ASUS Crosshair III, Phenom IIx4 955 Blk Ed, Zalman 9500 HS, Saphire 5770 vga, W-7/64bit, 8g/Corsair/1600 RAM, 850w HX Corsair PSU, WD CB/500gb HD, Pioneer CD/DVD, Smilodon/Dirk-Tooth(modded), All custom&controlled fans. Shhhh lol :)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Over50

Over50

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:52 PM

Posted 19 January 2009 - 12:17 AM

Have you tried reinstalling the game since installing the new video card? Also, I wasn't sure reading your post if you are using a new/different monitor too, point being, if you are and it's a widescreen it's possible the game doesn't support the resolution you may be trying to run it at.

Edited by Over50, 19 January 2009 - 12:21 AM.

CM Cosmos S case, EVGA 750i SLI FTW, 860W PCPC PS,
E8400 w/Zalman 9700 cooler, 4 GB RAM, 250 GB HD
EVGA GTX 260 216 Core SC, X-Fi Fatal1ty Pro Sound Card
CH 568 USB Joystick, Pro Pedals and Yoke, Windows XP Home

#3 PCwarrior

PCwarrior
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 203 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2009 - 07:39 PM

Yes, with th 6800xt, I removed the game and reinstalled acouple times. With and without the patch. Full install (big) and reg. if I remember right.
I never thought of the monitor issue. Around the same time We did hook-up a LCD, its not wide screen, but the res. is cranked up 1280x1024. I did shift it back to a lower res. to see if i was taxing the card though. I'll try lowering that a bit again ( darn desk top icons get all bunched up again though).

Even at a higher resolution though seems the game would find Open GL leads listed in error?

I now have a 6200 vid-card in the slot due to my 6800s fan leaving its post. Im not sure if the 6200 will present the game in a playable fashion. Hallo 1 gets a bit choppy right now.
(new,12/23/09) ASUS Crosshair III, Phenom IIx4 955 Blk Ed, Zalman 9500 HS, Saphire 5770 vga, W-7/64bit, 8g/Corsair/1600 RAM, 850w HX Corsair PSU, WD CB/500gb HD, Pioneer CD/DVD, Smilodon/Dirk-Tooth(modded), All custom&controlled fans. Shhhh lol :)

#4 PCwarrior

PCwarrior
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 203 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2009 - 10:44 PM

Reset rez and refresh to much lower 56hz . Sqwished all my desktop Icons together, But no Doom. Still got the same error.

#5 Over50

Over50

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2009 - 11:21 PM

Reset rez and refresh to much lower 56hz . Sqwished all my desktop Icons together, But no Doom. Still got the same error.

This is a tough one. And with no problems with other games it's obviously a Doom 3 conflict only. And you're not having problems with any other games, right?
Don't know if you've seen this but with everything else you've tried maybe you'll find something. I also did a Google search "doom 3 crashes to desktop" with some more results/links you could check as well.

Edited by Over50, 19 January 2009 - 11:23 PM.

#6 PCwarrior

PCwarrior
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 203 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2009 - 07:56 PM

Thanks, It seems my topics list is not changing the color of the mail box to indicate new posts?

At any rate, no, the problem seems to be focused on Doom3. Oh my to the "this". I did use the guide many months ago , but will reread and apply.
The link to googled topic looks promissing, I will give that a long read.

Thanks for your help.

#7 Over50

Over50

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2009 - 12:09 AM

Thanks, It seems my topics list is not changing the color of the mail box to indicate new posts?

At any rate, no, the problem seems to be focused on Doom3. Oh my to the "this". I did use the guide many months ago , but will reread and apply.
The link to googled topic looks promissing, I will give that a long read.

Thanks for your help.

Good luck...and by the way, I'm not receiving email notifications of post replies either - and I had the option checked when I posted here.

#8 PCwarrior

PCwarrior
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 203 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2009 - 08:46 PM

My wife thinks its Denyed active-X keeping notifications at bay. Thanks again.

#9 PCwarrior

PCwarrior
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 203 posts
  •  

Posted 31 January 2009 - 10:25 PM

Update; The GeForce 6200 is replaced with ATi 3650. The install went abit odd though. AVG anti virus has a prog. called resident shield that runs in the background, even after shutting down the main program. At first install of card drivers it may have corrupted something. The second install went ok, and after leaving settings alone, I went to try Doom.
With the new card, the game stopped loading when it found a dll of the wrong version. So I un-installed the game, and then reloaded it. Still the same error? Well, I had a patch for the game hiding on my system somewhere so I had to find it. Once the patch was applied I restarted the game and, It runs now. Seems like 3 years since its been up and running.
I still don't know what part of the Nvidia drivers or cards where the culprits? It did play well on a GF5500oc (OE over clocked) board.
Now I just have to figure out why the frame rate stutter is so bad with this card(3650 ati). The board seems a upgrade, over the others Ive run, but It seems to give frame stutter all the way down ( in settings ) in Doom. Every thing off and rez. real low. Still can't take multiple targets and multiple things happening in frames?

Any ideas, all.

Over50, I must add a very big THANKS for the link (this). Man what a good read.:thumbsup:

Edited by PCwarrior, 31 January 2009 - 11:27 PM.

#10 FireKracker

FireKracker

• Members
  • 484 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:52 AM

Posted 11 February 2009 - 11:56 AM

Are you running the old DOS version of the game or the windows updated version?
If all else fails, hit the reset button.
Posted Image

#11 4fingerlid

4fingerlid

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2009 - 06:27 PM

I had the same prob with Doom3. The only way I could get it to play was to turn off my firewall & my Webroot SpySweeper. I could leave my Avira AntiVir running though.

#12 PCwarrior

PCwarrior
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 203 posts
  •  

Posted 16 February 2009 - 07:41 PM

I'm running the new-er xp version, non DOS?
Seems something was wrong with the install of VGA drivers or game that kept me doom-less for many years. Possibly a conflict with a virus, or virus program on the PC. Resident shield, of AVGs background monitoring may have caused install issues of sorts with all my updated drivers for those years. I really don't have a clue. But it runs now:).
I let the game choose settings yesterday, with its system analyzing engine, and the game runs much smoother than the first shot. The settings in ATi catalyst (card tuner prog. ) all are set on let program (application) decide, and I try to turn off as much as conveniently possible.
After running some system checks while gaming, I pretty much figure I'm lucky to see the game play at all. My cpu gets pushed to the max(background resident shield and other services on) and all that seams to be left of my MoBo 512 ram is buffer. Yikes, checking the card while gaming shows only around 20% on VGA board(512 as well) DDR2 is being utilized so I have some upgrading to dream about.
After a reinstall of Halo 1, it rocks real well without crashing. I also updated the ATi AGP drivers to Hot Fix 9. something. To bad the hotfix drivers aren't windows certified. Regular ATi drivers (3600 series) have prov-en difficult, with AGP interface.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users