Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Were sorry for the inconvenience...

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Prentiss

Prentiss

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:47 AM

Posted 17 January 2009 - 04:51 PM

When Windows XP tries to load, I get the following message:

"We apologize for the inconvenience, but Windows did not start successfully. A recent hardware or software change might have caused this." My options are:

Start in safe mode.
Safe mode with networking.
Safe mode with command prompt.
Last known good configuration setting (most recent setting that worked).
Start Windows normally."

Each option I choose, it'll restart as it is going to work, but it goes back to the same screen as above.

I have a Dell Dimension 3000, and Windows XP SP2.
I know that I have to restore it to a previous date, but I have another problem.
When I enter the disk, it doesn't pop up. I know I have to change the BIOS, but
when I enter setup it has a password. What should I do?

Thanks

Edited by Prentiss, 17 January 2009 - 05:34 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,276 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:47 AM

Posted 17 January 2009 - 05:07 PM

Is this your system?

Louis

#3 Dayzt

Dayzt

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:47 AM

Posted 17 January 2009 - 05:20 PM

The only way to get past that BIOS password if you don't know the password, is to remove the CMOS battery for about 5 minutes so the BIOS resets to factory settings. The batter is located on your motherboard - it looks like a watch battery.

As for the other message, try selecting SAFE MODE (either one) and once Windows boots (you should see the words 'Safe Mode' in all 4 corners of the screen) use your system restore feature to restore to a point before you had the problem. If system restore is disabled then you may have to try a repair by booting with your XP disc, or reinstall the OS.

#4 Prentiss

Prentiss
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:47 AM

Posted 17 January 2009 - 05:34 PM

The only way to get past that BIOS password if you don't know the password, is to remove the CMOS battery for about 5 minutes so the BIOS resets to factory settings. The batter is located on your motherboard - it looks like a watch battery.

As for the other message, try selecting SAFE MODE (either one) and once Windows boots (you should see the words 'Safe Mode' in all 4 corners of the screen) use your system restore feature to restore to a point before you had the problem. If system restore is disabled then you may have to try a repair by booting with your XP disc, or reinstall the OS.

As i stated in the thread, all options do not work, it reboots and starts the process all over avian.

#5 Dayzt

Dayzt

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:47 AM

Posted 17 January 2009 - 10:04 PM

Okay - a few more things to try...

If you have a recovery CD/DVD, try booting from that - again, in order to get into the BIOS to change the boot sequence to allow the boot from CD, you'll need to open the computer up and remove the CMOS battery for 5 minutes to reset the BIOS to factory defaults. If you're able to boot into a recovery mode, follow it's steps to run your system recovery.

It sounds like you have be having a hardware problem of some sort - while you have the computer open, reseat your memory chip(s) and video card as well as the network card and sound card if they aren't onboard. If that doesn't make a difference then it could also be a corrupt boot sector or file in Windows - again, your recovery disc may fix that.

If these things don't help then you may need to get another hard-drive, mount and reinstall XP to it and then slave in the other one to retrieve any files you need from that point.

Either way though, you'll need to get that BIOS reset so you can get in there...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users