Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Internet Explorer Shortcut Icon Question

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 audiodrome

audiodrome

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:24 PM

Posted 17 January 2009 - 04:04 PM

Why is it that some Internet Explorer shortcut files have the default "e" icon (right) while others have a unassociated "generic" icon (left)? Does it have to do with the way the website is designed? When I looked at my Favorites folders I noticed that a bunch of shortcuts have this "unknown" icon and there dosen't seem to be a way to change it back to the default (I like all my favorites icons to be uniform.

I tried rebooting and I also tried changing the icon through the properties button but I actually couldn't find the IE shortcut icon anywhere. I found the IE application icon but not the shortcut icon. Is this anything to be concerned about or is it just a Windows XP quirk that I have to live with. By the way, only certain websites have this problem.

Posted Image

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 bicycle bill

bicycle bill

• Banned
  • 339 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:24 AM

Posted 17 January 2009 - 07:09 PM

Well I think you should be happy that this is the only problem you think you have.

#3 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:24 PM

Posted 23 September 2010 - 06:25 PM

Well I think you should be happy that this is the only problem you think you have.

Not actually a response - I am researching the same problem, and this is the only response I find given ??
I would say that audiodrome left after this reply -
Sorry to repeat this question , but can anyone else give a reasonable reply to this problem - Several Generic Icons from "nowhere" -

Thank You -
EDITED to correct spelling -

Edited by noknojon, 23 September 2010 - 06:28 PM.

#4 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,738 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:24 PM

Posted 23 September 2010 - 09:11 PM

I believe, this still applies to newer IE versions: http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/82749-45...5D(130)(3)(IF.)

My Website

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click DONATE

#5 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  

Posted 23 September 2010 - 09:28 PM

Thanks Broni -
I also have the same problem with others (including Bleep Comp icon) - It is OK for 2-3 days then I just get the generic shown above -
I will go through all the responses in the article and hope there are some good solutions -

Thank You -

#6 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,738 posts
  •  

Posted 23 September 2010 - 09:38 PM

I think, this is the critical part:

The favicons are actually stored in the Temporary Internet Files folder, and so they are cleared when you empty the TIF.

Some possible solutions are posted there.

My Website

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click DONATE

#7 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  

Posted 26 September 2010 - 05:19 AM

Thank you Broni - There was enough information in there to solve the problem -
Regards -

#8 danjmilos

danjmilos

• Members
  • 227 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:24 AM

Posted 26 September 2010 - 06:07 AM

Talk about resurrecting the dead "audiodrome Posted Jan 17 2009, 05:04 PM". (lol)

Dan

#9 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,738 posts
  •  

Posted 26 September 2010 - 10:10 AM

Hahaha....

My Website

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users