Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Continuing memory issues - HELP...

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#16 Mike T

Mike T
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:43 AM

Posted 19 January 2009 - 02:08 PM

Caperdog & Others: The dimms are populated on both sides (16 chips each). It is non-ECC, and generally meets spec. This is what has me scratching the old noodle. I know XP will only acknowledge ~3.0 Gb and that the other 1 Gb is superfluous, but I haven't been able to find any other cae histories similar to mine.

I called Newegg a few moments ago, and received an RMA for a refund (gotta love Newegg!) after explaining this is apparently an unanticipated compatibility issue. I'm wiping my system preparatory to a clean system install, and will use my old RAM until then. I'll investigate 2x2Gb sticks thereafter - maybe Crucial or another higher end product...

My last thought is that something within XP has been corrupted - though who knows what that could be!

I'll append this thread in a week or so and let everyone know what happens.

Mike

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#17 Mike T

Mike T
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2009 - 10:59 AM

FYI: Returned the new RAM to Newegg, and put the original 2x1Gb sticks in. No problems! I'm in the process of cleaning everything off the HDD's and doing a reinstall of XP. Will order new mem (2x2Gb) when my system is back up. Using my daughters computer until then.

Mike

#18 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,300 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2009 - 11:16 AM

Let us know if that really solves it, thanks.

I'd also be curious as to what a technician might say is wrong with the RAM, if they pass that info on to you.

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 25 January 2009 - 11:17 AM.

#19 Mike T

Mike T
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2009 - 01:27 PM

hamluis: Sent an email to the computer tech where I bought my tower. He responded that w/ teh 32 bit version of XP, 4Gb needs to be 2x2Gb and not to load all 4 slots. Didn't pres him for the details though...

Mike T

#20 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,300 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2009 - 02:34 PM

Info appreciated, thanks.

I guess that I would have a hard time swallowing that explanation when the manufacturer's specs dictate otherwise...I think it would be worth an email to the board manufacturer to see what they say about that...especially so in light of the diagram on Page 35 of the manual which clearly references 1GB DIMMs.

I understand defective materials or damaged materials or items like that. But I find it hard to understand that the specs of a board say one thing and have that contradicted by actual experience, with no indication that the board is either defective or damaged.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users