Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Continuing memory issues - HELP...

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 Mike T

Mike T

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:00 PM

Posted 17 January 2009 - 02:10 PM

This is driving me nuts. I posted this last week, but have since done some additional investigation. I installed 4 x 1GB Mushkin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) in my Intel DP35DP mobo, replacing the 2 older sticks. Purchased the new from Newegg:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16820146599

I also verified the selection via Newegg's configurator. Since adding the new ram XP startup has been MUCH slower, and my AV software (Trendmicro) takes 5-10 minutes to initialize. Once everything initializes, the startup of various applications is also greatly delayed (IE7, Excel, Word, etc.). I've verified the new ram 2 times via Memtest86 v2.11. It checks out 5-5-5-18 /dual channel/no errors.

I removed the new RAM this AM and replaced it with the original 2x1GB sticks. I checked them via Memtest86, and they came back good too: 6-6-6-18/dual channel/no errors. I then rebooted the machine into WinXP, and I'm back to normal.

I rebooted again and entered the BIOS. Memory settings are set to auto-detect the timing, and it was reading 6-6-6-18.

I put in the new ram again, rebooted and entered the bios. Memory settings are still set to auto-detect the timing, and it was reading 5-5-5-18. Memtest86 was also good. Booted into WinXP again, and performance is absolute CARP!

I've reviewed my Mobo manual (Intel DP35DP) here:

http://download.intel.com/support/motherbo...d8746203_en.pdf

Memory requirements are below:

Unbuffered, non-registered single or double-sided DIMMs
Non-ECC DDR2 memory
DIMM Type and Timings listed below:
Type Timing
DDR2-800 5-5-5 or 6-6-6 only
DDR2-667 5-5-5 only
Serial Presence Detect (SPD) memory only
Memory configurations listed below:
Up to 2.0 GB utilizing 256 Mb technology
Up to 4.0 GB utilizing 512 Mb or 1 Gb technology
Up to 8.0 GB utilizing 1 Gb technology

What am I missing? Or is it possible that the Mushkin is not compatible with my mobo? Is a BIOS upgrade in order? Any other tweaks or diagnostics? I'd love to get to the bottom of this - any help/suggestions would be GREATLY appreciated. Thanks!

Mike
~~~~~~~~~~~~~
System data:

OS Name Microsoft Windows XP Professional
Version 5.1.2600 Service Pack 3 Build 2600
Processor x86 Family 6 Model 15 Stepping 11 GenuineIntel ~2666 Mhz (Core 2 Duo)
BIOS Version/Date Intel Corp. DPP3510J.86A.0326.2007.1206.2256, 12/6/2007

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,261 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2009 - 02:44 PM

The only things that I can see...

Your manual requires Channel A, Dimm 0 (per board) to be populated...I assume that's done.

The Intel Rapid Recovery feature in the BIOS, I would disable that.

What's your system clock speed? I see that your RAM is 800, but it appears that your clock speed can be changed. Have you double-checked the BIOS setting?

I had a situation where a board spec'd for PC3200 would run smoothly slower RAM, while PC3200 modules would create all sorts of RAM errors. I overcame that by reducing the clock speed from 200 to 166 and running the PC3200. But that was pointed out by Memtest errors.

Louis

#3 Mike T

Mike T
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2009 - 03:25 PM

Hamlius - All channels are populated (4x1Gb). In viewing the mobo manual, you can also do a dual channel w/3 sticks, but the 3rd must be double the size of the other 2. I've swapped out pairs using only 2Gb, and everything has worked fine w/ 2Gb so far (I've got one more combination to check on before I can rule out an individual compatibility issue).

System bus is set to 1333 Mhz; Memory 800Mhz. Under auto-detect, all slots were identified as 1Gb/800Mhz/5-5-5-18. I tried adjusting from auto memory detection to manual using 800Mhz, 5-5-5-18, but no dice - same problems. Can I safely drop the speed down to 667 using the 5-5-5-18?

Didn't see a BIOS setting for "Intel Rapid Recovery". What section would it be listed under?

Thanks!

Mike

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,261 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2009 - 07:20 PM

The 5th item under Contents on your manual...it refers to IRR. I just thought of it as an unnecessary service that could be applied to the system.

I really have no idea what it could be, since you seem to be able to run any two sticks together.

As for playing with RAM/clock settings...I approach that with the "I won't know until I try" spirit. The worst thing that can happen is I have to go back into the BIOS and restore the defaults, so I am prone to try all sorts of changes when things are not working properly.

Louis

#5 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2009 - 08:07 PM

I don't know your specific problem; however, Whenever given the choice of 2X2gigs vs 4X1gig, you always opt for the 2X2gig to avoid problems.

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

#6 Mike T

Mike T
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2009 - 10:10 PM

Hamluis: Memory timing has had no effect - other than a failure to boot. Regarding the IRR, the documentation says it should be a setting in the bios. I don't have RAID setup, so maybe the option isn't displayed when theres no raid array.

dpunisher: 2 dimms makes sense.

I'm going update my bios and see if that makes a difference - my version is a year old and there've been 2 updates since (one fixes an issue with random slow booting). Baring that, an RMA to Newegg will be in the works. I'll keep you posted.

Mike

#7 caperdog

caperdog

• BC Advisor
  • 954 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:00 PM

Posted 17 January 2009 - 10:41 PM

if everything works fine with 2gig is the "utilizing 256 Mb technology" limitation a factor ?

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,261 posts
  •  

Posted 18 January 2009 - 07:34 AM

Hmmm...I think that phrase relates to the size of the modules used. If I am correct, he should be able to run a minimum of 4GB of RAM successfully, since he's using 1GB modules.

Louis

#9 Goldwyn

Goldwyn

• Members
  • 194 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:30 PM

Posted 18 January 2009 - 09:30 AM

Sounds like it may be faulty memory sticks.? I could be wrong. I'm just throwing that out there. It maybe something to consider.
Posted Image

#10 Mike T

Mike T
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  

Posted 18 January 2009 - 10:41 AM

The board specs state 8Gb max. I've checked all dimms by using only 2Gb, and swapping them out. I have not been able to identify ANY of the dimms as bad via Memtest86 - everything checks out. The dimms meet spec and there are no obvious problems with any of them - thats what has me baffled.

I updated the bios yesterday, with no apparent change in behavior. I haven't had an opportunity to view change settings yet, but will do so tonight.

Unless something obvious pops up there, I'll RMA the dimms and get 2 sticks of 2Gb per dpunisher's comments.

FYI - I'll be doing a reinstall of XP within the week too. Either way, I should have a clean running machine at the end of all this.

Mike

#11 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  

Posted 18 January 2009 - 11:37 AM

Does that mobo have a memory voltage adjustment? Being an Intel board they sometimes don't have the most BIOS options. If possible, bump the voltage up to 1.9-2V and see what happens. Some memory doesn't work well at 1.8V eventhough that is spec.

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

#12 Goldwyn

Goldwyn

• Members
  • 194 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:30 PM

Posted 18 January 2009 - 06:10 PM

Okay. ECC and Non ECC combat each other. This could be possible as well. Maybe that could be something to consider. Even Voltage could be a factor like dpunisher said. My memory is 1.6 Volts. My motherboard by default was giving 1.9 volts. I ended up having to manually go into my bios Intelligent tweaking settings for Chip speeds and Memory timings with voltage settings.. Again. If that fails. Come back we'll try again. :thumbsup:
Posted Image

#13 caperdog

caperdog

• BC Advisor
  • 954 posts
  •  

Posted 18 January 2009 - 09:09 PM

i believe the "utilizing 256 Mb technology" refers to chip density. according to muskin spec
http://www.mushkin.com/doc/products/memory_detail.asp?id=564
this ram is Module: 256x64
therefore the board is maxed out at 2gb
higher density is required for 4gb and up

#14 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,261 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2009 - 09:21 AM

It's possible, I sure don't claim to know...but the link you posted does not reflect the RAM he purchased.

Your link reflects 991558, which is a 2GB module, not a 1GB module.

He purchased 996529, http://www.mushkin.com/doc/products/memory_detail.asp?id=522

FWIW, from http://reviews.ebay.com/RAM-Compatibility-...00000004055200:

When it comes to compatibility, the most important parameter by far is the number of chips used to built the DIMM. Each computer has a maximum limit on the largest RAM chip it can read. Non-ECC 168-pin DIMM are commonly built with 16, 8 or 4 chips, though once in a while one may see a 32-chip piece. This limit on the chip size can be found by dividing the maximum RAM per slot by 16. For example, if the specifications of your computer say that it can take up to 256MB per slot, that implies it is limited to chips of 16MB each or less (256 divided by 16). Therefore you should not expect it to work with any 8-chip 256MB DIMM or 4-chip 128MB DIMM, since both are built with 32MB chips.

If I am interpreting the above quote correctly, that would mean that his board supports a chip size of 128MB or less. My math is a bit rusty but 2GB divided by 16 should equal 128.

The RAM purchased complies to that bit of speculation.

I have no clue.

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 19 January 2009 - 09:28 AM.

#15 caperdog

caperdog

• BC Advisor
  • 954 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2009 - 12:13 PM

first of all sorry about the incorrect link and i am no math wizard either. so i went over to http://www.kingston.com/tools/umg/umg04.asp
for my math lesson. chip density is 64M (deep) x 8 (wide) = 512 megabits per chip.

good job Louis. i saw the 256 number and ran with it. never assume.

also with my new found math (i hope there are 16 chips on this module as i can only see 8 on the one side in the picture)
512 megabits per chip x 16 chips (divided by) 8 = 1024 megabytes or 1 gig

of course this still leaves the problem What is wrong with Mike T's setup?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users