Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

login password? suddenly?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 mcarrigg

mcarrigg

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:49 PM

Posted 17 January 2009 - 01:52 PM

Hello, I was about to update Java so I deleted some old versions with add/remove programs. It prompted me to reboot so I did. This reboot took 5-6 times longer than usual to get to the login screen. I have windows xp home. The login buttons came up (mine, my wife, and guest). I click on mine and suddenly it asks for a password even though I have never used a password. I am 100% sure no one put a password on my account as I am the only one that has been using this computer for the last year. I click guest and even that requires a password! I can get on the computer with my wife's login button as she DOES have a password and it still works. After I click her login button it take abnormally long to boot up and there is no start button or bar that goes across the bottom like it usually is. I can log onto the internet luckily. Please help as I need to be able to log in as myself. Something is wrong!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:49 PM

Posted 17 January 2009 - 01:58 PM

When you were prompted for a password, did you try to just click Enter without giving it one?
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 mcarrigg

mcarrigg
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:49 PM

Posted 17 January 2009 - 02:01 PM

yes. I can't get in. I even tried logging on as administrator and it wont work. It says "unable to log you on because of an account restriction". I suspect virus or malware. any thoughts or help?

#4 Zllio

Zllio

• Members
  • 1,107 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:49 PM

Posted 17 January 2009 - 04:15 PM

Hi mcarrigg,

Please try returning to the restore point from before you uninstalled the old versions of Java. If you've never done this before, Go to Start / All Programs / Accessories / System Tools / System Restore check the box to Restore my computer to an earlier time and click on Next. You'll see a calendar with highlighted dates. Choose one of the dates just preceeding these problems and allow your system to return to that date. See if the problem goes away. If this doesn't work, go back into System Restore as per the above instructions, only this time choose the option to reverse the change you made.

If using an earlier restore point gets rid of the problems that turned up, then try uninstalling the old Java's one at a time over a few days. Create a new restore point between every couple, so you can back up again if you need to. If it's the deinstallation of Java which caused the problem, this should help you to figure out which one it is.

Zllio

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users