Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Multiple issues

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Cornholio

Cornholio

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:34 AM

Posted 17 January 2009 - 12:11 PM

Hi, trying to get sisters lappy back up and running. Had a big "X" in the system tray saying Malicious software detected, actually changed the background pic to this message, etc.

Running Windows XP Pro w/ SP3

Installed:

Super antispyware - found 200 plus items, let the prog remove and quarantine all
Registry Mechanic - found 1000 plus items, let remove and repair
AVG anti spyware - Program cannot update error: "Update failed, The connection with the update server has failed."

Now, I am not able to get a webpage in either firefox or IE

Discovered ask toolbar installed, I am unable to uninstall, get an error saying:

"Invalid floating point operation" and

"Exception EInvalidOp in module _iu14D2N.tmp at 778500F5. Invalid floating point operation.

Also discovered at this point, (shoulda looked at this first) that no restore points exist and I cannot manually create a restore point.
Error states: "System Restore is not able to create a restore point. Please restart the computer, and then run System Restore again."
I have restarted and get the same result. Obviously there is something installed blocking these things: Internet, system restore, and Add/Remove programs.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rigel

rigel

FD-BC

• Members
  • 12,944 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:34 PM

Posted 17 January 2009 - 07:15 PM

Let's start with a SuperAntiSpyware scan in safe mode. Please post the log.

Safe mode access:

Reboot your computer in "Safe Mode" using the F8 method. To do this, restart your computer and after hearing your computer beep once during startup (but before the Windows icon appears) press the F8 key repeatedly. A menu will appear with several options. Use the arrow keys to navigate and select the option to run Windows in "Safe Mode".

"In a world where you can be anything, be yourself." ~ unknown

"Fall in love with someone who deserves your heart. Not someone who plays with it. Will Smith

#3 Cornholio

Cornholio
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2009 - 02:50 PM

alright.... sorry took so long, (sister took the lappy back for a bit)

Wow, ok now can't login under admin, or user account in safe mode or normal. Starts to logon and then, just says logging off, saving settings etc. Takes me back to login screen.
I am clueless as to what was done to the machine while she had it for the last week or so. I know this makes it next to impossible to narrow down problems and such. Any ideas?

Thanks

#4 rigel

rigel

FD-BC

• Members
  • 12,944 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:34 PM

Posted 24 January 2009 - 08:08 PM

At this point I would recommend posting in the HJT forum. Please follow this guide from step (6). Post a HJT log to the HJT forum and a Team member will be along to help you as soon as possible. You may wish to post a link back to this topic to see what was discussed thus far.

If you need any help with the guide, please let me know. Best wishes - you are in good hands...

"In a world where you can be anything, be yourself." ~ unknown

"Fall in love with someone who deserves your heart. Not someone who plays with it. Will Smith

#5 Cornholio

Cornholio
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2009 - 11:42 AM

Thanks Rigel

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users