Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hard drive

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 jerry1967

jerry1967

• Members
  • 67 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:18 PM

Posted 17 January 2009 - 11:05 AM

If I remove the hard drive and sell the computer can someone still trace the web sites I have visited?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Guest_Jay-P VIP_*

Guest_Jay-P VIP_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 17 January 2009 - 11:13 AM

No. All the information that you do is on the hard drive and is not stored anywhere else.

Reason for edit: wordy phrase

Edited by Jay-P VIP, 17 January 2009 - 11:14 AM.

#3 jerry1967

jerry1967
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 67 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2009 - 11:41 AM

thank you

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,276 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:18 PM

Posted 17 January 2009 - 11:52 AM

If you sell the computer without a hdd this means that they will also not have a operating system. If this computer is a couple of years old it's not going to be worth much in that condition. Why don't you wipe the drive with an application like DBAN and reinstall the operating system. When the hdd is wiped it overwrites the entire hdd, for conventional recovery methods this will mean that the information will no longer be recoverable. But... short of physically destroying the hdd there are forensic recovery techniques that still can recover information from the hdd, but this is very expensive! If the only information on the hdd that you are concerned about is your browser history you would be able to rest easy after wiping the hdd.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 Guest_Jay-P VIP_*

Guest_Jay-P VIP_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 17 January 2009 - 11:54 AM

Excellent point dc3. I completely agree! :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users