Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

system doesnt shutdown or restart

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 lobotomy-

lobotomy-

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:53 PM

Posted 17 January 2009 - 10:58 AM

Hi,

I recently got my new laptop, a dell M1730, with vista preinstalled on it. As I hate Vista, I installed windows XP professional on it. Now, everything seems fine, except that when I try to reboot my system, or also when I try to do a shutdown, it doesnt go all the way. Windows seems to stop all applications, but then it gets in a state where you still can see your desktop, and your mouse (you can move the mouse, not create selection boxes), but the system seems to stay in that state until I force it to shutdown manually with my laptop on/off button. Does anyone have any clue what this could be?

thx

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Guest_Jay-P VIP_*

Guest_Jay-P VIP_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 17 January 2009 - 11:31 AM

You will need to run system file checker.
Put your XP CD in the drive. Then click start then run, and in the address box type cmd then click OK. At the command window type:
sfc /scannow then hit enter.

Windows checks to see if any critical files are damaged. If so, SFC will replace them.

If you have any issues then go here http://www.updatexp.com/scannow-sfc.html or PM me.

Edit: typo

Edited by Jay-P VIP, 17 January 2009 - 11:32 AM.

#3 lobotomy-

lobotomy-
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2009 - 07:34 AM

Hi,

I tried a lot of stuff, what you said, it didnt help, so I did a reinstall of XP, with a different CD. And still I have the same problem! I have no f*cking clue what this can be...

Anybody any ideas?

thx

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,896 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:53 PM

Posted 21 January 2009 - 08:54 AM

I would check Event Viewer and see if there is more data/information relative to this shutdown dysfunction. I would look for errors occurring at approximately the same time as my shutdown attempts.

Double-clicking on any line item in Event Viewer will reveal additional detail which might be helpful.

How To Use Event Viewer - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/40108/how-to-use-event-viewer/

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=308029 You might review the section under The Computer Stops Responding, shutdown problems are common to all Windows versions, with varying causes and cures.

Louis

#5 lobotomy-

lobotomy-
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:53 AM

Posted 21 January 2009 - 09:38 AM

in the event viewer, no errors or warnings related to this are shown

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users