Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Flashing Light on Scanner

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 vivienne

vivienne

• Members
  • 62 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:15 PM

Posted 17 January 2009 - 10:37 AM

I have a Mustek Scanmagic 1200 CP Scanner which I have had for quite a lot of years now. Unfortunately I cannot get it to work. The green power light on the scanner keeps flashing and when I try to scan I get a message saying the Office User Face has encountered a problem. I tried uninstalling it and installing it again but it is still the same. Any advice welcome.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Guest_Jay-P VIP_*

Guest_Jay-P VIP_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 17 January 2009 - 11:12 AM

Is the hardware compatible for Windows? What is your operating system and date of your BIOS?

#3 vivienne

vivienne
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 62 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2009 - 12:36 PM

I have been using the scanner for a few years now and it must have been compatible because I haven't had any problems before. The BIOS details are Phoenix Techology LTD 6.00 PG.06/04/2004. I am using Windows XP.

#4 Guest_Jay-P VIP_*

Guest_Jay-P VIP_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 17 January 2009 - 12:42 PM

Here is the Phoenix Technologies BIOS Update Referral

http://biosagentplus.com/?ref=29&PHPSE...bpkvbdq3vq8vra5

#5 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:15 PM

Posted 17 January 2009 - 01:18 PM

Office User InterFace has encountered a problem

Sounds like a problem with MS Office or the OCR software, not the scanner driver

Edited by garmanma, 17 January 2009 - 01:20 PM.

Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#6 Guest_Jay-P VIP_*

Guest_Jay-P VIP_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 17 January 2009 - 01:38 PM

not the scanner driver

--Sir, I was not referring to the scanner driver, but rather the BIOS update. Updating the BIOS can relieve the computer of Resource conflicts and memory access.--

Next step, what is your version of Microsoft Office and what were you trying to do when the error occurred?

#7 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,971 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2009 - 07:08 PM

Sir, I was not referring to the scanner driver, but rather the BIOS update.

Since garmanma quotes vivienne's post and makes no mention of a BIOS update, I don't think he's replying to your post, but probably referring to vivienne's mention of "I tried uninstalling it and installing it again" (drivers?).

Top 5 things that never get done:

#8 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:15 AM

Posted 17 January 2009 - 08:10 PM

Since garmanma quotes vivienne's post and makes no mention of a BIOS update, I don't think he's replying to your post, but probably referring to vivienne's mention of "I tried uninstalling it and installing it again" (drivers?).

I would think so also

It's also an old parallel port scanner that has been used with XP for a while so I doubt if a BIOS update is needed

Edited by garmanma, 17 January 2009 - 08:14 PM.

Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#9 Guest_Jay-P VIP_*

Guest_Jay-P VIP_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 17 January 2009 - 08:35 PM

Sorry about that. I did not read the post fully/clearly.

#10 vivienne

vivienne
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 62 posts
  •  

Posted 18 January 2009 - 04:47 AM

I just used the CD which came with the scanner to install it again - don't really know much about drivers.

I wasn't aware of doing anything when it went wrong, so I don't know how long it has been like that as it is a few weeks since I used it. It was when I wanted to scan something the other day that it wouldn't work and I noticed that the power light keeps flashing.

Maybe it is time for a new one!

Thanks for trying to help.

#11 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,971 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:15 AM

Posted 18 January 2009 - 06:41 AM

The user manual or readme file containing instructions for the scanner is often on the CD. Have you checked to see if there is an explanation of the error indication as to what the power light flashing means?

Top 5 things that never get done:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users