Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

SpyBot Blocked!

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 caterbro

caterbro

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:34 PM

Posted 12 August 2004 - 11:25 PM

or should that be "Blox0r3d"?

an XP PC infected with spyware and etc, the usual story, with a twist- when a CD with SpyBot and AdAware is loaded, both programs fail to show up. the CD has been verified-the programs are there, but they don't show up on this infected machine.

downloading Spybot or AdAware from the internet leads to a "cannot copy file" error.

has anybody else seen this? is there malware that does this? is there a f1xx0r? ;)

thx,

Carl
Carl
----
Official puter fixer :D

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Papakid

Papakid

Guru at being a Newbie

• Malware Response Team
  • 6,616 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:34 PM

Posted 13 August 2004 - 10:41 AM

Hi Carl,
Is there a fix? Possibly. CWS Smartkiller has been known to do this sort of thing. You can try downloading and running a small removal tool from here:
http://www.safer-networking.org/minifiles.html

If that doesn't work, there could be a new version of Smartkiller out, some other malware blocking installation or something else going on entirely. Let us know.

Good luck

The thing about people

is they change

when they walk away.--Mipso

#3 Guest_brunt_*

Guest_brunt_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 13 August 2004 - 02:25 PM

caterbro, Please try to keep to one topic when we see 2 of the same topic it gets us a little confused ok! Thanks alot

Brunt

#4 caterbro

caterbro
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 14 August 2004 - 01:07 AM

sorry about that- I posted this query to a bunch of sites and groups, maybe i was a tad enthusiasic.:thumbsup:

We ended up re-imaging the drive(after backing up customer's data), but I haven't sen this kind of behavior before; It's a hell of a bug that makes files on a CD "disappear".

way back when the world was young, I knew a trick in DOS that would ignore files on floppys, but i didn'tknow that it existed in XP, let alone in malware...

thanks for your help,

Carl
Carl
----
Official puter fixer :D

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users