Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hard Drive partitioning gone wrong!

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 cap2587

cap2587

• Members
  • 524 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:38 PM

Posted 17 January 2009 - 10:14 AM

I tried to shrink my Hard drive into two sections, partition the drive and format the drive. I used Acronis Partition expert to do this. I thought I completed everything correctly, but I really didn't. My Hard drive is 75GB. My intention was to dual boot Vista on a system with XP already running. I split the drives up into two sections 45GB for Vista and 30 GB for the original XP on my hard drive. One area I got confused on was selecting Logical or active drive ( I choose active as the description seemed to sound correct). I went to reboot into my Computer and then it wouldn't boot up saying, corrupt NTLDR file. Tried all the boot fixes, fixboot, fixboot MBR, even tried to do a repair install of XP on the original 30GB that XP was already running. No luck on any of these things. I am at a loss at this stage. It was saying that my Vista partition was there 40GB and my XP partition was there when I went into the recovery console running the XP CD. I am sure I allocated the disk drive to be F when I set up the new Vista partition at 40GB, however it ended up being on the C Drive. The XP 30GB was now on the D drive. I basically want to know what my mistake was in order to learn more about partitioning and dual booting. What I did was installed XP again on the new Vista partition and it worked luckily. Now I am going to install Vista on the 30 GB partition that was originally used for XP, but is now clean and formatted. What is the best program to partition a Hard drive in XP and can someone give me their opinion on what went wrong. I hope this post is not too confusing. Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,247 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:38 PM

Posted 17 January 2009 - 12:54 PM

Hi :thumbsup:.

<<One area I got confused on was selecting Logical or active drive ( I choose active as the description seemed to sound correct).>>

I don't use the software mentioned...but the choices should have been either logical or primary. The active partition on a single hard drive is always the partition where the running O/S is (normally C:), http://www.computerhope.com/jargon/a/activepa.htm

I think maybe they used "active" to mean bootable, just guessing.

Anyway, you did not want logical :flowers:.

I am trying not to be confusing, so bear with me.

If you have two partitions on a hard drive...and each partition contains a bootable operating system...each will be C and some other letter. It depends on which one you boot into.

If I have XP on my first partition and Vista on my second...and all is set up as it should be...when I boot into XP, it will be C: and the Vista drive will be some other letter. When I boot into Vista, it will become C: and the XP partition will have a different drive letter. I've tried this and that's what I saw on this system.

I can't tell you what went wrong, if anything. At least, not up to that point.

You should not have installed XP on the second partition...the general rule is to install the older/oldest operating system first, when multibooting. XP should be on your first partition, followed by the install of Vista on your second partition.

There is a guide for installing XP after Vista is installed, http://apcmag.com/how_to_dual_boot_vista_a...ystep_guide.htm

Guide for installing Vista after XP: http://apcmag.com/how_to_dualboot_vista_wi...screenshots.htm

If it were me, I would just delete both partitions and start anew, doing the XP install first. Seems to be a bit simpler. Like many things in computing, there are various ways to arrive at the same end.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users