Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

The Immaculate Inauguration

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
10 replies to this topic

#1 GTK48

GTK48

• Members
  • 396 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:45 PM

Posted 17 January 2009 - 10:11 AM

Posted Image

Posted Image
The Obaminationmobile: The first official photograph of Obama's new armoured limo, which he will ride in for part of the swearing-in parade, and which can withstand rocket and chemical attacks

Bush declares a 'state of emergency' in Washington as cost
of Obama's swearing-in ceremony soars to 110m
UK Daily Mail online
By Paul Thompson

Barack Obama's inauguration is set to cost more than 100m making it the most expensive swearing-in ceremony in US history.

The President-elect will take less than a minute to recite the oath of office in front of an estimated two million people in the US capital next week.

But by the time the final dance has been held at one of the many inaugural balls the costs for the day will be a staggering 110m.

The cost was revealed as Mr Obama scrambled to answer questions about the nomination of Treasury Secretary pick Timothy Geithner.

Geithner - the president of the New York Federal Reserve Bank whose selection by Obama as Treasury chief in November - is facing questions about an 'illegal' housekeeper whose work papers lapsed while she was employed by his family, and about several years when Geithner did not pay 35,000 of Social Security and Medicare taxes for himself. >>>

As the Obama team went into damage control over Geither, President Bush declared a state of emergency in Washington - because so many people were expected to attend the inauguration. >>>

His money will fund many of the extravagant balls and also for giant TV screens to be placed along The Mall to allow visitors to witness the historic moment when America swears in its first black president. >>>

But it will be the US taxpayer who picks up the main part of the bill to cover security and transport costs.

SOURCE

Let's go back to the Associated Press story in 2005, the reporter Will Lester. This is a January 13th AP dispatch: "President Bush's second inauguration will cost tens of millions of dollars -- $40 million alone in private donations for the balls, parade and other invitation-only parties. With that kind of money, what could you buy?

So we're supposed to attend this inaugural ball saluting the historic election of Barack Obama in the worst economic climate in three generations and nobody asks if this is feasable givien the circumstances?

Not one story so far about how many people in Darfur could we feed with this $150 million? How many Africans could be vaccinated against AIDS for some of this $150 million? What size home could you buy the brother George Obama, still living in the hut with just a meager portion of this $150 million? Aunt Zeituni might even be able to buy her a green card with a portion of the $150 million. What about all the children without health care? What about all of the middle-class people without jobs? How many people could be aided with a portion of Obama's inauguration budget? Bush, it was $40 million and they were asking how it could be better spent, that it's unnecessary. We weren't in a recession either, by the way, we weren't in an economic downturn. Now in the midst of an economic downturn, oh, yeah, go out there and just live it up like theres no tomorrow. This is "change we can believe in"?

http://dir.salon.com/story/news/feature/20...on_inauguration

http://www.graphixanstuff.com/Forum/index....st&p=103790

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DSTM

DSTM

"Bleepin' Aussie Addict"

• Members
  • 2,649 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:45 PM

Posted 17 January 2009 - 11:32 AM

This is an historic occasion,in many ways,so it deserves to be special,regardless of the cost.
No matter what it cost,many are going to complain.
I thought this was one of Joy Green's Threads,till I looked again. Sorry GTK48. :thumbsup:

#3 GTK48

GTK48
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 396 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2009 - 12:06 PM

This is an historic occasion,in many ways,so it deserves to be special,regardless of the cost.
I thought this was one of Joy Green's Threads,till I looked again. Sorry GTK48. :flowers:

Well since your in Australia and the US is currently in a depression I can see your point. Way too much tax payer dollars to spend when the gov't has gotten into the auto and bank business as well. :thumbsup:

#4 Guest_Abacus 7_*

Guest_Abacus 7_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 17 January 2009 - 12:37 PM

I thought this was one of Joy Green's Threads,till I looked again. Sorry GTK48. :flowers:

Well since your in Australia and the US is currently in a depression I can see your point. Way too much tax payer dollars to spend when the gov't has gotten into the auto and bank business as well. :thumbsup:

Funny? Most Americans just don't realise how much Respect widespread World Wide that your President Elect has? Highest for any other President you ever had!

Been saving this for him!

Posted Image

He needs all the Help he can get, just do it!

:trumpet:

#5 JohnWho

JohnWho

Who was running the store?

• Members
  • 2,611 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2009 - 09:37 PM

The point of your opening article is excellent and needs to be addressed as often as possible, GTK48.

The main stream media went ballistic with Bush's second Inauguration's cost during good economic times, but act like Obama deserves this high-cost ceremony in tough economic times?

I would think even non-US citizens would see the absurdity and hypocrisy here.

Don't misunderstand - Obama deserves an Inauguration at least equal to what other recent President's have had. Additionally, the historical significance should not be overlooked.

However, change by spending exorbitant amounts of money in a frivolous nature is not what Obama promised when campaigning, was it?

I know you think you understand what you thought I said,
but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant!

#6 GTK48

GTK48
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 396 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2009 - 09:40 PM

The point of your opening article is excellent and needs to be addressed as often as possible, GTK48.

The main stream media went ballistic with Bush's second Inauguration's cost during good economic times, but act like Obama deserves this high-cost ceremony in tough economic times?

I would think even non-US citizens would see the absurdity and hypocrisy here.

Don't misunderstand - Obama deserves an Inauguration at least equal to what other recent President's have had. Additionally, the historical significance should not be overlooked.

However, change by spending exorbitant amounts of money in a frivolous nature is not what Obama promised when campaigning, was it?

No it certainly was not. He is a wafler just like Kerry was. All during his campaign he blasted Bush's tax cuts. Now he wants to lower them some more. Can you say Hypocrite? :thumbsup:

#7 JohnWho

JohnWho

Who was running the store?

• Members
  • 2,611 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2009 - 10:00 PM

Funny? Most Americans just don't realise how much Respect widespread World Wide that your President Elect has? Highest for any other President you ever had!

This respect is based on "hope and promise", and not on deeds and performance.

Besides, what is most important is how well he conducts himself as President for the people of the United States of America, and not his "approval rating" in other parts of the world.

It would be great if he got both, of course, but that would most likely be very difficult since what is best for the US does not match what is best for some other parts of the world, just as what is best for some other parts of the world isn't always what is best for the US.

I know you think you understand what you thought I said,
but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant!

#8 ddeerrff

ddeerrff

Retired

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,723 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2009 - 11:00 PM

Inauguration? More like a Coronation.
Derfram
~~~~~~

#9 Boneshaker

Boneshaker

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:45 PM

Posted 18 January 2009 - 12:13 AM

If McCain had won and was to be in Inaugurated in this extravagant manner, you know the press would have been very critical of his wasting tax payers money.

But the media campaigned very hard for Obama, so they're obviously not going to criticize anything he does ... just yet.

Watching all the hype and hypocrisy from across the border in Canada, I just don't get it.
A woman is an occasional pleasure but a cigar is always a smoke ... Groucho Marx

#10 BlackSpyder

BlackSpyder

Bleeping Big Rig

• BC Advisor
  • 2,456 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:45 PM

Posted 18 January 2009 - 01:06 AM

Ok, so the whole of the world thinks this guy can walk on water. He can't. He's a politician, he spends taxpayer money for his own gain.

Ever wonder what became of these millions of campaign donations left over after he won? This would be a good place to spend some of it.

Finally, I wonder if those are Dub's on his limo? They appear to be (and those Caddy's do have a 20" option)

Posted Image

#11 GTK48

GTK48
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 396 posts
  •  

Posted 18 January 2009 - 05:39 AM

Inauguration? More like a Coronation.

You hit the nail on the head!

Posted Image