Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

redirected search, slightly different scenario

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
4 replies to this topic

#1 bcramer1

bcramer1

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:16 AM

Posted 17 January 2009 - 09:03 AM

OK running XP professional. Firefox browser, latest.

During any search in google on firefox and IE the results and the description
are accurate but the website listed are most always shopping type sites such as:
shopasearch.com, clickndirect.com, shoppingway.com, americanbest.com, searchy.com etc.
Also down in the left bottom of the toolbar 0.0.0.0 would come up first then to google,
now it comes up as 7.7.7.7 then the search engine of my choice but always ends up
with the wrong sites listed, ie: shopping style sites.
I ran malwarebytes first, then superantispyware (both updated) and removed some trojan/virus'
but my problem still exists.
I found a site: thefreedictionary.com that is unaffected. I used that to find this site.
ANY help would be appreciated.
I also have PC Tools Spyware Doctor which did nothing, even after talking to customer service.
Thanks, Bruce

Edited by bcramer1, 17 January 2009 - 12:07 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2009 - 10:57 AM

This is not the correct forum for HJT logs
---------------------------------------------------
Please reboot the computer
Open MBAM and click Update tab, select Check for Updates,when done
click Scanner tab,select FULL scan
After scan click Remove Selected, Post new scan log for review

Then

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/131299/how-to-use-sdfix/

Please print out and follow these instructions: "How to use SDFix". <- for Windows 2000/XP ONLY.
When using this tool, you must use the Administrator's account or an account with "Administrative rights"
  • Disconnect from the Internet and temporarily disable your anti-virus, script blocking and any real time protection programs before performing a scan.
  • Please be patient as the scan may take up to 20 minutes to complete.
  • When the process is complete, the SDFix report log will open in Notepad and automatically be saved in the SDFix folder as Report.txt.
  • If SDFix is unable to run after rebooting from Safe Mode, run SDFix in either Mode, and type F, then press Enter for it to finish the final stage and produce the report.
  • The SDFix report log (Report.txt) will open in Notepad and automatically be saved in the SDFix folder.
  • Please copy and paste the contents of Report.txt in your next reply.
  • Be sure to re-enable you anti-virus and and other security programs before connecting to the Internet.

Edited by garmanma, 17 January 2009 - 10:58 AM.

Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 bcramer1

bcramer1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2009 - 02:49 PM

Did as told and came up clean. Log listed below. Moving to your next suggested course of action.
Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware 1.33
Database version: 1662
Windows 5.1.2600 Service Pack 3

1/17/2009 2:40:46 PM
mbam-log-2009-01-17 (14-40-46).txt

Scan type: Full Scan (C:\|D:\|)
Objects scanned: 230413
Time elapsed: 2 hour(s), 14 minute(s), 11 second(s)

Memory Processes Infected: 0
Memory Modules Infected: 0
Registry Keys Infected: 0
Registry Values Infected: 0
Registry Data Items Infected: 0
Folders Infected: 0
Files Infected: 0

Memory Processes Infected:
(No malicious items detected)

Memory Modules Infected:

Registry Keys Infected:

Registry Values Infected:

Registry Data Items Infected:

Folders Infected:

Files Infected:

#4 bcramer1

bcramer1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2009 - 03:26 PM

Ran your second course of action using SDFix. Nothing found. Log below:

SDFix: Version 1.240
Run by Administrator on Sat 01/17/2009 at 03:09 PM

Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
Running From: C:\SDFix

Checking Services :

Restoring Default Security Values
Restoring Default Hosts File

Rebooting

Checking Files :

No Trojan Files Found

Removing Temp Files

ADS Check :

Final Check :

catchme 0.3.1361.2 W2K/XP/Vista - rootkit/stealth malware detector by Gmer, http://www.gmer.net
Rootkit scan 2009-01-17 15:16:51
Windows 5.1.2600 Service Pack 3 NTFS

scanning hidden processes ...

scanning hidden services & system hive ...

scanning hidden registry entries ...

scanning hidden files ...

scan completed successfully
hidden processes: 0
hidden services: 0
hidden files: 0

Remaining Services :

Authorized Application Key Export:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\system\currentcontrolset\services\sharedaccess\parameters\firewallpolicy\standardprofile\authorizedapplications\list]
"%windir%\\Network Diagnostic\\xpnetdiag.exe"="%windir%\\Network Diagnostic\\xpnetdiag.exe:*:Enabled:@xpsp3res.dll,-20000"
"%windir%\\system32\\sessmgr.exe"="%windir%\\system32\\sessmgr.exe:*:enabled:@xpsp2res.dll,-22019"
"C:\\Program Files\\BearShare Pro\\Bearshare.exe"="C:\\Program Files\\BearShare Pro\\Bearshare.exe:*:Enabled:BearShare"
"C:\\Program Files\\Nero\\Nero 7\\Nero Home\\NeroHome.exe"="C:\\Program Files\\Nero\\Nero 7\\Nero Home\\NeroHome.exe:*:Enabled:Nero Home"
"D:\\Program Files\\TurboTax\\Deluxe 2007\\32bit\\ttax.exe"="D:\\Program Files\\TurboTax\\Deluxe 2007\\32bit\\ttax.exe:LocalSubNet:Enabled:TurboTax"
"D:\\Program Files\\TurboTax\\Deluxe 2007\\32bit\\updatemgr.exe"="D:\\Program Files\\TurboTax\\Deluxe 2007\\32bit\\updatemgr.exe:LocalSubNet:Enabled:TurboTax Update Manager"
"C:\\Program Files\\Bonjour\\mDNSResponder.exe"="C:\\Program Files\\Bonjour\\mDNSResponder.exe:*:Enabled:Bonjour"
"C:\\Program Files\\LimeWire\\LimeWire.exe"="C:\\Program Files\\LimeWire\\LimeWire.exe:*:Disabled:LimeWire"
"D:\\My Downloads\\BearShare Pro\\Bearshare.exe"="D:\\My Downloads\\BearShare Pro\\Bearshare.exe:*:Disabled:BearShare"
"C:\\Program Files\\iTunes\\iTunes.exe"="C:\\Program Files\\iTunes\\iTunes.exe:*:Enabled:iTunes"
"C:\\Program Files\\Internet Explorer\\IEXPLORE.EXE"="C:\\Program Files\\Internet Explorer\\IEXPLORE.EXE:*:Enabled:Internet Explorer"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\system\currentcontrolset\services\sharedaccess\parameters\firewallpolicy\domainprofile\authorizedapplications\list]
"%windir%\\Network Diagnostic\\xpnetdiag.exe"="%windir%\\Network Diagnostic\\xpnetdiag.exe:*:Enabled:@xpsp3res.dll,-20000"
"%windir%\\system32\\sessmgr.exe"="%windir%\\system32\\sessmgr.exe:*:enabled:@xpsp2res.dll,-22019"

Remaining Files :

Files with Hidden Attributes :

Wed 22 Oct 2008 949,072 A.SHR --- "C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy\advcheck.dll"
Mon 15 Sep 2008 1,562,960 A.SHR --- "C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy\SDHelper.dll"
Mon 7 Jul 2008 1,429,840 A.SHR --- "C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy\SDUpdate.exe"
Mon 7 Jul 2008 4,891,472 A.SHR --- "C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy\SpybotSD.exe"
Tue 16 Sep 2008 1,833,296 A.SHR --- "C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy\TeaTimer.exe"
Wed 22 Oct 2008 962,896 A.SHR --- "C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy\Tools.dll"
Sun 19 Aug 2007 4,348 ..SH. --- "C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\DRM\DRMv1.bak"
Fri 26 Oct 2007 25,600 ...H. --- "C:\Documents and Settings\Bruce\My Documents\~WRL0004.tmp"
Fri 26 Oct 2007 26,112 ...H. --- "C:\Documents and Settings\Bruce\My Documents\~WRL0656.tmp"
Fri 26 Oct 2007 26,112 ...H. --- "C:\Documents and Settings\Bruce\My Documents\~WRL1018.tmp"
Fri 26 Oct 2007 25,600 ...H. --- "C:\Documents and Settings\Bruce\My Documents\~WRL3207.tmp"
Fri 26 Oct 2007 26,112 ...H. --- "C:\Documents and Settings\Bruce\My Documents\~WRL3402.tmp"
Fri 26 Oct 2007 25,600 ...H. --- "C:\Documents and Settings\Bruce\My Documents\~WRL3529.tmp"
Sun 16 Nov 2008 0 A.SH. --- "C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\DRM\Cache\Indiv01.tmp"
Fri 2 May 2008 3,493,888 A..H. --- "C:\Documents and Settings\Bruce\Application Data\U3\temp\Launchpad Removal.exe"
Sun 19 Aug 2007 11,116 A.SH. --- "C:\Documents and Settings\Bruce\My Documents\My Music\License Backup\drmv2key.bak"

Finished!

#5 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,807 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2009 - 06:21 PM

Hello bcramer1,

I see that you have an HJT log posted here: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/195976/clean-scans-but-still-have-problem-hjt-log-inside/

We do not allow more than one topic for the same computer and the same issue as this causes confusion, and in this case may make the disinfection process more difficult.

This leaves you with a choice:

1) Have this thread reopened and the HiJack This log topic deleted

OR

2) Keep this thread closed and wait for assistance in the HiJack This log forum. Please note that that forum is VERY busy.

Please send a Private Message indicating your choice.

Assuming you wish assistance in the HiJack This forum, you should NOT make further changes to your computer (install/uninstall programs, use special fix tools, delete files, edit the registry, etc) unless advised by a HJT Team member, nor should you continue to ask for help elsewhere. Doing so can result in system changes which may not show in the log you already posted. Further, any modifications you make on your own may cause confusion for the helper assisting you and could complicate the malware removal process which would extend the time it takes to clean your computer.

From this point on the HJT Team should be the only members that you take advice from, until they have verified your log as clean.

Please be patient. It may take a while to get a response because the HJT Team members are EXTREMELY busy working logs posted before yours. They are volunteers who will help you out as soon as possible. Once you have made your post and are waiting, please DO NOT make another reply until it has been responded to by a member of the HJT Team. Generally the staff checks the forum for postings that have 0 replies as this makes it easier for them to identify those who have not been helped. If you post another response there will be 1 reply. A team member, looking for a new log to work may assume another HJT Team member is already assisting you and not open the thread to respond.

If after 5 days you still have received no response, then post a link to your HJT log in the thread titled "Haven't Had A Reply In Five Days?".

To avoid confusion, I am closing this topic. Good luck with your log.

Orange Blossom :thumbsup:
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users