Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Wireless connection gets slower the longer it is active

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 jonnyringo

jonnyringo

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:45 AM

Posted 17 January 2009 - 07:10 AM

I have a problem on my Toshiba laptop, running Vista. When first booted the internet connection is very fast, but after about 15 minutes it starts to slow, and every ten minutes or so the connection will drop completely (sometimes it shows as disconnected, sometimes it's simply impossible to bring up webpages) for about two minutes, after which it is fine but slow for another ten minutes before it drops the connection for two minutes again and so on. After about 75 minutes it's pretty unusable and I have to reboot - when all is fine again, but the cycle starts up once more.

Any ideas? The connection is strong and my previous Vista laptop had no problems at all.

Thanks,

JR

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Bugler

Bugler

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:45 PM

Posted 17 January 2009 - 11:23 AM

Not sure how true this is but I read on a blog where Internet Explorer keeps hogging memory the more it runs not sure if this has anything to do with your problem. I use Firefox and Maxathon2 and have not had that problem. Im also wired and not wireless. Just a thought...

Bugler

#3 spincity

spincity

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:45 PM

Posted 17 January 2009 - 12:16 PM

My wireless is slow as soon as I turn it on. I have an Acer laptop with Vista thru a Linksys wireless "B" router. Could the "B" have something to do with it?

#4 cod head

cod head

• Members
  • 162 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:45 AM

Posted 18 January 2009 - 05:33 AM

I have wireless and I.E.and its allways pretty fast.A 20mb download at a good time of day is 2 or 3 minutes.Firefox in fact takes more resources than I.E.but a lot of people claim its safer.Have you tried restarting the router to see if that helps.It usualy has a restart button.How many programmes do you have running.The more you run the slower you go.Also when you changed your laptop did you change your router.Just trying to rule things out.But if rebooting makes it run faster again I wonder if its a memory problem.

Edited by cod head, 18 January 2009 - 05:37 AM.

#5 spincity

spincity

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:45 PM

Posted 24 January 2009 - 08:55 AM

I restart my router at least once a week. My HP laptop with XP works very well but the Acer with Vista is significantly slower, hence I thought it might be the "B" router. I would hate to buy a new "G" or "N" router if it won't take care of the problem. Maybe I could take my laptop somewhere else and try it on a different wireless system. Any other ideas?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users