Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Is it possible to virtually run XP from a separate drive within Vista?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 HybridEyeGrillage

HybridEyeGrillage

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:26 AM

Posted 17 January 2009 - 03:08 AM

Hello BCists~

I had heard about virtually running multiple operating systems a while ago, but never gave it much thought as I dual-booted XP Pro & Vista Ultimate. After a while I had gotten so used to Vista, I forgot about my XP Pro half. I usually handle some downloads, but switching to the other half would never allow me to continue those downloads.

Example:
Vista (C:) begins a download of a continuable file. File is stored in a separate hard disk (E:).
I switch to XP (F:) and attempt to continue that file, hash checking the file in (E:). It fails to continue.
I switch back to Vista (C:) and continue the file in (E:) as normal.

I hope that makes some sense...

But my question is just this-
•Is it possible to run XP virtually (MS VirtualPC, VMWare or Parallels) in Vista if it is fully installed a separate drive? :huh:
•If it is possible, what would possibly be the limitations?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 lowtek_otc

lowtek_otc

• Members
  • 280 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:26 AM

Posted 17 January 2009 - 05:44 AM

•Is it possible to run XP virtually (MS VirtualPC, VMWare or Parallels) in Vista if it is fully installed a separate drive? :huh:
•If it is possible, what would possibly be the limitations?

I think it would have to be installed through the virtual machine, but yes, if you boot to the VM and install windows.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users