Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Persistent Crazymaking Problem with Windows Explorer

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 kalmly

kalmly

• Members
  • 101 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:58 AM

Posted 17 January 2009 - 01:50 AM

Windows Explorer quit sorting by Name long ago and periodically goes back to sorting by Date Modified as if that were Window's Default setting. None of the "fixes" I've tried have worked and to make matters worse all my applications' Open Dialog boxes come up sorted by Date Modified.

If that weren't bad enough, it has now begun to revert daily, so any effort I make to sort by Name and set the details to my preferences, is wasted energy.

My latest attempt to correct the problem was yesterday. I downloaded a couple of registry fixes from Kellys Korner, savesettings.reg and bags8000.reg. Ran them, but no joy.

No. I don't have a virus. I run one anti-virus program daily and two spyware applications. Nothing. I am using Windows XP Home, Sp2.

Hope someone out there has some idea what can be done?

Thanks.

HP Pavilion - Pentium® 4CPU
160GB HDD 512 MB RAM
Windows XP SP2 Home

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Zllio

Zllio

• Members
  • 1,107 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:58 AM

Posted 17 January 2009 - 10:38 AM

Hi kalmly,

Do you have Spybot's Teatimer running? If so, you should try making the changes to your settings after disabling Teatimer. The instructions for how to do that can be found at http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=2827

Also, have you tried returning your computer to an earlier restore point from before this problem started?
If you've never done this before, Go to Start / All Programs / Accessories / System Tools / System Restore
check the box to Restore my computer to an earlier time and click on Next. You'll see a calendar with highlighted dates. Choose one of the dates just preceeding these problems and allow your system to return to that date. See if the problem goes away.
If this doesn't work, go back into System Restore as per the above instructions, only this time choose the option to reverse the change you made.

Did either of these work?
Zllio

#3 kalmly

kalmly
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 101 posts
  •  

Posted 18 January 2009 - 02:42 AM

Hey Zllio - I appreciate the answer. Thanks!

Yesterday afternoon - well after Patch Tuesday, I know - I downloaded Windows Updates. This morning my Explorer settings were still in place. One of MS Windows many oddities. It giveth and it taketh away. Usually without warning.

Your post gave me an idea about another problem I have. In 2007 I installed Spybot and, due to my lack of diligence, it dragged Tea Timer along with it. I disliked Tea Timer and couldn't figure out how to get rid of it other than to uninstall Spybot. I did that but after reading your post I looked in Explorer and found that the little devil I wanted to rid myself of is still sitting there. I don't really think it is doing anything, but I am going to get rid of it - one way or another - on the off chance that it is sneaking around when I am not looking.

Thanks again.

#4 Zllio

Zllio

• Members
  • 1,107 posts
  •  

Posted 18 January 2009 - 10:48 AM

Hi kalmly,

I too have noticed that XP sometimes rights itself. Quite interesting.

It's easy enough to turn TeaTimer off and Spybot is a good tool to have because of its immunize feature. I recommend Creating a new restore point (Start / All Programs / Accessories / System Tools / System Restore (select create a new restore point)) and name it "Before Spybot". Then install the newest version and allow it to install over the previous version. It should overwrite the old TeaTimer. If you end up with teatimer installed, it's easy to disable it. Just double click on the program to open it, select Mode at the top of the screen and make sure Advanced is checked. Then look down the left side of Spybot's window and find Tools. Click on Tools and then on the red and white Resident shield on the left. Clicking on the shield will open the Resident window and in the middle you'll see the options for SD Helper and TeaTimer. Just uncheck Teatimer if it's checked.

Then click on the Spybot S&D tab at the top left and allow the updates to run. After you've updated, click on the blue and white Immunize shield on the left side. That will give you some added protection.

Then, since it's updated, you might want to run it.

Zllio

#5 kalmly

kalmly
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 101 posts
  •  

Posted 18 January 2009 - 04:35 PM

Thanks again Zllio.

I confess I have System Restore turned off. In the past I've tried to use it but it never worked - not even the time I had a frustrated MS tech on the phone (now that was an experience!). The last time my system crashed, I had to resort to a computer geek shop. The tech turned System Restore off and I've never bothered to turn it back on. I just use Erunt to back up the registry every time I make a change.

I will reinstall the latest version of Spybot. However, I wonder if it is worth the lag to run a resident shield. This is a stand alone computer. No network. No connection to anything on earth except the internet where I go to do things like I'm doing now and to search out new and affordable shareware (I'm a junkie). The rest of the time I am here, working alone, opening and closing many programs, sometimes running 7 or 8 at a time with my internet connection shut down.

#6 Zllio

Zllio

• Members
  • 1,107 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2009 - 09:33 AM

Hi kalmly,

Erunt works well for backups. Have you ever used the backups you've made?

With regard to resident shield:
From the boss: The resident shield is only for IE and it blocks the downloading of known malware.

I've never experienced a lag caused by the resident shield, although I know that IE 7's phishing filter can slow it down a lot.

I don't know if you have Spyware Blaster, but that's a remarkable piece of background spyware prevention software that is very lightweight and seems to be compatible with everything else. If you don't have that, you can see that here:

How to use SpywareBlaster

Zllio

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users