Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

No display and no beep error

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Nums

Nums

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:08 AM

Posted 17 January 2009 - 01:08 AM

Alright, I've been working with my boss on his old compaq from 2002. He wanted to add some RAM, as well as a Sony DVD burner from a computer made in 2000, put into his, and wanted me to do a bit of a refresh since it had been something like 5 years that it last got a defrag.

Time goes by, we get the RAM boot it up and everything is going as planned. I start running CCleaner, Spybot, Malwarebytes, and Auslogics Boostspeed. I ran a registry clean via CCleaner, did a check with Spybot which came back with 22 problems all of which fixed with no problems, Malwarebytes came back with nothing, Boostspeed finished doing a Disk Clean, Registry Defrag, and a regular Defrag.

After all this I restarted the computer. It shuts down, then boots up and the monitor never displays anything, ever.

I've tried reseating the RAM, flipping the the VGA cable connections, used different monitors, and tried using only the old RAM and unconnected the DVD burner, still nothing. Oh and none of the keyboards I attach to it light up the LEDs; however when you unplug the keyboard then plug it back in they flash once, mouse is getting power, no clue if it is working though.

Any help would be awesome as I'm getting pretty desperate at this point. Let me know if you guys need anymore information. Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 lowtek_otc

lowtek_otc

• Members
  • 280 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:08 AM

Posted 17 January 2009 - 01:42 AM

So the bios does not even show? nothing, ever?

Is it on a dedicated graphics card or onboard?
If it is on a dedicated graphics card, is there an onboard connection as well? Try that if so.

#3 Nums

Nums
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2009 - 01:51 AM

If it is on a dedicated graphics card, is there an onboard connection as well? Try that if so.

Never shows anything, and I mean nothing

It is using onboard.

The thing that is so frustrating is that it makes no sense to me whatsoever, I can't figure out any logical reason for it to just up and quit working.

Btw, thanks for your response, your the first one out of the five forums I've posted on, lol.

Edited by Nums, 17 January 2009 - 01:53 AM.

#4 lowtek_otc

lowtek_otc

• Members
  • 280 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2009 - 02:00 AM

Never shows anything, and I mean nothing

It is using onboard.

The thing that is so frustrating is that it makes no sense to me whatsoever, I can't figure out any logical reason for it to just up and quit working.

Btw, thanks for your response, your the first one out of the five forums I've posted on, lol.

That is quite mind boggling since you were just running software tools.
Do the lights come on and the fans turn?

#5 Nums

Nums
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2009 - 03:37 AM

Yeah, thats the really weird part, all the fans and LEDs turn on. I just don't understand it. I keep thinking the RAM isn't seated properly, but I've redone it at least 10 times now.

Oh, I forgot to mention I updated his Java as well as did some major OS updates. Seems like a big oversight, but updates are kind of a do and forget thing for me :thumbsup:

Edited by Nums, 17 January 2009 - 03:39 AM.

#6 lowtek_otc

lowtek_otc

• Members
  • 280 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2009 - 05:05 AM

all the fans and LEDs turn on.

The only thing I could say is try a video card.
Is there any jumpers on the mobo for the video?

#7 Nums

Nums
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2009 - 02:14 PM

all the fans and LEDs turn on.

The only thing I could say is try a video card.
Is there any jumpers on the mobo for the video?

I'd love to try a video card, but it has a 32-bit interface and I have none.

Also there is no jumper by the video, the only jumper is located by the bios

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users