Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

HP laptop - DEAD - need help

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Neil B.

Neil B.

• Members
  • 191 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:26 AM

Posted 17 January 2009 - 12:34 AM

I have an HP Pavilion laptop... I can provide specs if needed but for now Ill leave all that junk out because i doubt that it is relevant...

Alright, so I was browsing the internet like I always do on my laptop... everything is fine and dandy until BOOM the whole dang thing just dies. The system shut off and I cant turn it back on. Its completely dead.

I suspect the Power Supply might be the issue because when I plug my power cable into the laptop the LED power light doesnt come on... even if the computer is shut off it comes on if the power cable is plugged in (or at least it did when the computer was alive).

Also before it shut off (died), I heard a faint whine... it kind of sounded like something might have shorted out. I opened a few panels and found where I thought the sound might have come from... turned out to be the hard drive.

I dont know if it is the PSU or the hard drive, but something got fried.

I would like to fix the problem myself... if It is a simple fix (like popping in a new HDD or PSU) then I would rather do it myself then pay someone $200 to do the same thing.

This laptop cost me $800... if anyone has ANY advice please post.

I will be contacting Circuit City to ask about my laptops warranty... Im not sure if it is still in effect, and Im not sure what it covers but I will find out. Until then any help is VERY much appreciated.

Ill keep everyone posted if I get any other news or come to any conclusions/ideas.

Thanks
-Neil

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Roger Stace

Roger Stace

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:26 PM

Posted 17 January 2009 - 05:27 AM

HI

Is your laptop running on batteries or the mains? Battery could be flat. maybe need replacing or if its on mains , could it charge the laptop?

Please give me the full specs so we can find a solution to the problem you are having with the dead laptop or it could be a motherboard issue.

Regards

Roger

#3 Neil B.

Neil B.
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 191 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:26 AM

Posted 17 January 2009 - 12:44 PM

AMD Turion 64 X2 Mobile Technology TL-60

160GB HDD

3GB RAM

6 cell lithium ion battery

windows vista SP1

My laptop has a bettery yes.

I dont think the battery is the problem, because when I plug in the power connector it does not work and like I said even when the computer is shut down it should display the LED lights.

UPDATE: BIG problem with the Circuit city issue... they are going out of business... so the warrenty has shust been thrown out the window... Ill try and contact HP and see if I have a warrenty directly with them...

#4 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:26 AM

Posted 17 January 2009 - 01:50 PM

A simple, inexpensive voltmeter Will tell you if the power pack is good or not. The DC power jack at the back of the computer could be bad (not uncommon). The hard drive could very well be bad. I just had one that fried in a Dell. I haven't yet checked the system board to see it that got damaged by the drive
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users