Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

2 jumpers on M2N MoBo? resetting cmos?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Kandinsky

Kandinsky

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:41 AM

Posted 16 January 2009 - 08:10 PM

Hi, I have an Asus M2N motherboard that has 2 jumpers, one for cmos & time etc and the other is described as a usb jumper. I want to clear the settings as much as possible by moving the jumpers and taking out the battery, but am not sure if I should reset both, and if so should they be reset at the same time?

And if I reset the usb jumper will I then have problems with usb devices? my mouse is usb.

(I have a virus that has survived a few reformats & I want to wipe as much as is safe. I also plan on repairing/reformatting the MBSection of the hard drive.)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Platypus

Platypus

• 13,716 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:41 AM

Posted 16 January 2009 - 09:28 PM

Just use the CMOS reset one - usual procedure, with the system turned off at the mains, move the CMOS reset jumper to the reset position for about 5 seconds then return it to the previous position. After the reset you may need to set things like your drive boot order to how you want them.

The USB jumper sets the USB power management behaviour on that board I think.

Top 5 things that never get done:

#3 Roger Stace

Roger Stace

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:41 PM

Posted 17 January 2009 - 12:50 PM

Hi there

the one that says USBPWR jumper must not be moved in anyway because it could cause your motherboard not to start at all because it has to rely power to nothing if not jumperd

Regards

Roger

PS !! It could damage the board!! Read the Mobo manaul!!!

#4 Goldwyn

Goldwyn

• Members
  • 194 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:11 AM

Posted 17 January 2009 - 02:03 PM

haha old style boards used to have 2 jumpers back in the day. One for the CMOS and one for the front side bus speeds. I would consider looking at the motherboard manual to just make sure it's okay to tinker with.
Posted Image

#5 Kandinsky

Kandinsky
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:41 AM

Posted 18 January 2009 - 06:45 PM

thanks very much you guys, just saved me a couple hours googling :thumbsup:

#6 Platypus

Platypus