Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

HELP! Monitor or video card. Resolution suddenly shot

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 cvcooper

cvcooper

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:53 PM

Posted 16 January 2009 - 06:49 PM

Ok I have a 22" LCD westinghouse (LCM-22w3). I have an older Dell dimension desktop 8250 with a GeForce4 MX 420 (old I know). It was worked beautifully and had great resolution since I bought it in late 07. Never had a SINGLE problem.

So I turn off my computer yesterday and go shopping. Come home and my resolution is absolutely shot. My desktop font and icons are blurry, along with the desktop background picture. Internet explorer. Any app run from the desktop. I always make sure ( and had it) on 32 bit, 1600X1200 etc.

I have spent the last day installing and re-installing drivers (using driver sweeper in regular and safe mode, getting rid of old ones drivers, resintalling, etc etc). I have googled countless things and have tried everything I can. Nothing seems to work.

My Device Manager says the "device" is working properly. I have added the drivers manually, I have had windows find them, I have shown windows the location etc (all these times completely uninstalling the old drivers and reinstalling again). I installed my old driver from my disk, the new drivers from the Nvidia website. Still no change.

I am at a loss. I don't know what it could be. It is just a plug and play monitor with auto adjust with does nothing really. Yes I unchecked shadows for text and did/undid clear font, that is not the problem in the least. It went from 1600X 1200 excellent resolution to absolute garbage.

Oddly enough games seem to have good resolution like before, with annoying subtle verticle lines in the back ground and the "fluidness" of the character are a little off. I tested this on Solider of Fortune and Battlefield Vietnam.

Please help. thanks in advance

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Platypus

Platypus

• 13,741 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:53 AM

Posted 17 January 2009 - 08:19 AM

My first suggestion would be to organize to try the monitor on another computer. If the problem is actually in the monitor (or the VGA cable), then it's wasted effort trying to fix stuff on the computer.

Top 5 things that never get done:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users