Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Office Outlook - MAPI32 is Corrupt

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 hatecomputers

hatecomputers

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:53 AM

Posted 16 January 2009 - 06:05 PM

Greetings and thank you for accepting my first post here.

System - XP Home V2002, SP3 (Office 2003 Student Edition)
Problem: MAPI32 is corrupt

Chronological history as best i can recall:

Installed office 2003 suite - minus publisher and access
Installed Outlook 2007 (stand alone free download for use with exchange server from Hosting company)
Discontinued Exchange Service due to bad hosting :flowers: :trumpet:
Installed Live.com Components individually
Installed Live Essentials Package (FAILWARE) :thumbsup:
in windows live mail (WLM) there is a function to import contacts. It does not state or not clearly that this is only for importing MICROSOFT address books. so when i imported my contacts from Gmail- contact manager took a huge dump. :inlove: :bike: After the fact I realize that the ever spying and ever prying gmail stores every single piece of data for ever (even after delete).

So the contact manager in WLM got tons of bad data. The only cure was to uninstall and reinstall WLM.
so that did not work.
-possible infection /

followed directions in this forum for where to start. worst machine scraped and reinstalled. others seem to be ok. recently ran Onecare from safe mode using secret command line prompts sent by Microsoft where the screen was all black with dots chasing down the screen one after another that ran for a day. reported all clean.

This was over a week ago that i Lost the ability to use outlook. So I have uninstalled every single item from PC that mentions LIVE in the name. The only one spared was onecare - and only because i have one more month on a paid subscription.

the error was that the file mapi32 was the wrong verison.
repaired outlook 2003 from CD - didnt work
reinstalled outlook 2003 from CD - NO GOOD still not working.

So i have re-installed the entire FAILWARE package called Windows Live Essentials. - didnt work

except now instead of being the wrong version / it is corrupt.

I cannot afford to clean install Outlook 2003 as i have a lot of information and data that I do not have a recent backup of.

Please help me to correct the dll to get outlook to load properly.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hatecomputers

hatecomputers
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:53 AM

Posted 17 January 2009 - 02:56 PM

Ok, I have located the issue. There were Mapi32dll in 4 different locations due to the different installs and reinstall etc.

All I did was delete all occurrences of Mapi32 as they are to be recreated on initialization when Outlook opens.

Now the problem is that I get Outlook asks for a Profle. I have the one mentioned above for exchange and I have the one that i created for live mail. NEITHER WORK!!. I tried two times to create new ones. Once they are created i get the same error that is below.

TWO DIALOG BOXES:
1. On the screen the dialog box titled "Configuring Outlook" is open.

2. Middle of the screen is an active dialog box "Choose a profile". When I choose profile named "Outlook" and click ok. It says that it "Can not start outlook. Unable to open outlook window. The set of folders could not be opened. The server is unavailable. Contact administrator if problem persists"

Are there an administrator in the house? Please let me know if you have any ideas and I will continue my search.

thank you in advance for any help you can provide. Does anyone have a similar experience that led them to choose the opensource equivalent? I think it is Thunderbird. If so could you please PM me and let me know if you had trouble getting used to it and some Pros and Cons. Do not want to take too much time changing over to find that i cannot use it for my business applications... which are basic appts, calendar and email.

PS - i will come back and remove this if i find an answer here in the forum... just wanted to make sure that i do not waste any ones time on original request now that I am beyond that step.

thank you again!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users