Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Bold Fonts in Windows

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 birdman2314

birdman2314

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:21 AM

Posted 16 January 2009 - 05:37 PM

So here's the deal.

The other day I was backing up some files like I usually do. But I had recently downloaded many fonts (graphic design major, another story). And I wanted to back them up. So I made a folder on my external HD, and then proceeded to drag the files into that folder. Immediately the window froze up and then at the top of the window instead of saying "Fonts", it had some weird characters. Should have taken a screenshot, but didn't. Anyways, all the windows I opened after that were glitchy and had some weird "korean looking" characters instead of what it should say (i.e. My Documents, My Music, etc.)

I restarted (several reboots now [the problem happened like 2 days ago]) and now all windows fonts are bolded. The windows clock in the bottom right was bold as well as the start button (it reverted to classic mode for some reason).

I then went into regular Windows XP and that fixed the start button, clock, and desktop icons. But the fonts are still bolded on many webpages and forums, as well as, in aim chat and other programs.

I really need to fix this problem because it is not only annoying, but it is hard to work with these bolded fonts.

All the best,

Chris

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 lowtek_otc

lowtek_otc

• Members
  • 280 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:21 AM

Posted 16 January 2009 - 07:27 PM

Sounds like you moved the fonts rather than copied them.

Check your font folder to make sure all the fonts are in there.

#3 birdman2314

birdman2314
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:21 AM

Posted 16 January 2009 - 07:41 PM

Hey,

That's what I was thinking too, but it doesn't look as if any have been moved/deleted. How do I restore everything to using default fonts in Windows? That might fix the problem.

-Chris

#4 lowtek_otc

lowtek_otc

• Members
  • 280 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:21 AM

Posted 17 January 2009 - 12:20 AM

Hey,

That's what I was thinking too, but it doesn't look as if any have been moved/deleted. How do I restore everything to using default fonts in Windows? That might fix the problem.

-Chris

It is a longshot that SFC would work, but I would still try it:
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/43051/how-to-use-sfcexe-to-repair-system-files/

You could also try a repair install as an almost last resort:
http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm

And as a last resort perform a clean install.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users