Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Master/Slave on laptop- What does it mean?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Virus_Killer

Virus_Killer

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:08 AM

Posted 16 January 2009 - 04:54 PM

Hello!

Allow me to introduce myself- My name is Daniel, and I'm a part of a special project in Israel Schools called "Katom".

In short, every member of this project gets a chance to learn with a mobile computer in scool (Yay!).

After getting the computer, my computers teacher told me our (the pupils) computers are slaves, and his computers is a master.

Than, he said he has the ability to search in our computers for internet history, what kind of programs we install etc.

My questions are:

- What does Master/Slave really mean? Is a master computer can really enter a slave?

And if yes, how can I know he was in my computer? I read a guide about "tracing a hacker" hear in Bleeping Computers, but I din't found him/his IP.

- Is there a way to make a slave into master, or to make my system safe from him to enter it?

If you know the answer, please, don't be lazy and help me :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 lowtek_otc

lowtek_otc

• Members
  • 280 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:08 PM

Posted 16 January 2009 - 05:24 PM

Your teacher's lecture is a bit flawed. In my opinion I would not refer to a group of computers as slaves. However if it is technically and logically sound, I still would not use that terminology. I would prefer to use the terminology client/server or user/administrator.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Master-slave_(technology)

However these are the most common uses:
- In a client-server relation, the client is the master, and the server is the slave.
- In database replication, the master database is regarded as the authoritative source, and the slave databases are synchronized to it.
- Peripherals connected to a bus in a computer system.

In true technology standings a computer that can access and control other computers would be the "administrator" while the student's computers will be the "clients" or "users"

The computer belongs to the school, then there is no way to stop him from accessing it and this website condones any act that is made to bypass any system security. Please do not ask questions about bypassing ANY type of security.

#3 Virus_Killer

Virus_Killer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:08 AM

Posted 17 January 2009 - 11:23 AM

No, maybe I didn't explain myself well enough. My parents bought it, as well as every other parents. So, it's really my computer.

The project is meant to give us an option to take the laptop to school, to learn with it. I only want to know is there an option to make my computer more

private. Oh, and I want to add something else. You wrote that Administrator can control a client. I had a user in the computer called Admin, and it was

protected by a password. I maneged to enter it, even thought I don't know what was this account use. As I already wrote, I got the computer from school.

So, any idea of how to block the teacher, Or deleting the Admin account already did it?

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,264 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:08 PM

Posted 17 January 2009 - 01:03 PM

What you have described sounds like Remote Assistance. You can disable this, but your instructor will realize this.

It sounds like the reason that you wish to disable this is because you wish to do these things that your instructor has asked you not to do, for that reason I will not help you with instructions to disable this. I would suggest that if you have voluntarily signed up for this course that you discuss your privacy issue with your instructor.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users