Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Bad hdd issue - Laptop MAC

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 tim_ver

tim_ver

• Members
  • 125 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:25 AM

Posted 16 January 2009 - 03:57 PM

I have a harddrive that just stopped working from a MAC laptop. It is just making a clicking noise now. Can it be fixed or recovered?

I only have a PC now to use and was unsure if I can access the hdd from a pc recover program?

Thanks

Edited by tim_ver, 16 January 2009 - 03:57 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,488 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:25 AM

Posted 23 January 2009 - 11:29 PM

Hello I found this an interesting question. Though I do not own a Mac this item looked promising. It wasn't free but not expensive. I figure I'd pass it along and let you be the judge.
https://www.binarybiz.com/vlab/recover-mac-...on-windows.html

Edited by boopme, 23 January 2009 - 11:30 PM.

How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 E-werd

E-werd

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:25 AM

Posted 25 January 2009 - 08:03 PM

I am not sure, but...

If I remember correctly, the latest version of Ubuntu includes HFS+ support (the file system on current-day Macs). If you boot a LiveCD on your Macbook (insert the cd/dvd at boot and hold C) you may gain file access if the hard drive will physically respond. From there you could probably get files onto a USB drive.

Alternatively, you could open the laptop up (very easy) to get the hard drive out and replace it. From there, insert your Mac OS X disc and hold C to reinstall. With the old drive, you could try chaining it with your PC and trying a solution like boopme suggested. If the drive is clicking, though, it may (but not necessarily) be pretty dead. An old trick is to put the hard drive in the freezer and then connect it before it warms up, that trick has mixed results though.

I had success with a Mac's clicking hard drive at the shop one time when I connected it to the newly-install Mac with a SATA->IDE connector on a IDE->USB adapter. It took FOREVER for the hard drive to transfer data over, but eventually I got everything--it took about 3 days though.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users