Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

help me with overclocking

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 ektomorf

ektomorf

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:27 AM

Posted 16 January 2009 - 03:30 PM

My computer spec:
AMD athlon 4200+ x2 am2
Gigabyte M55Plus-S3G rev 2.1
sparkle 7900gs 256mb/256bit
2x667mhz,2x800mhz ram
power 400W

I really need to oc my cpu,but where should i know how much to add anything?
heres a pic from bios,thats how its right now.
http://img134.imageshack.us/my.php?image=im000910ua7.jpg

please tell everything easily,what i need to add and how much.
Thank you!

Edited by ektomorf, 16 January 2009 - 05:25 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Sterling14

Sterling14

• Members
  • 1,842 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2009 - 05:34 PM

I'm not very familiar with overclocking AMD processors, but I think it's pretty similar to Intel.

What you need to do is adjust your processor's clock frequency. Then, the clock frequency number multiplied by the cpu multiplier, will give you the cpu's frequency. This may also overclock your memory to. Your memory is all running at 667mhz (even the 800mhz sticks).

Be aware though, this will make your processor run hotter. Take small steps, and watch your temperatures. This is one of my favorite programs for checking processor temperatures: http://www.alcpu.com/CoreTemp/ . Take small steps at a time to. The first overclock, you could probably do about 250-300mhz. After testing to see if it's stable, bump it up another 100mhz. Don't forget to check your temperatures.

EDIT: If you do go overboard though, and your system will not post, reset your cmos by setting the jumpers, or you can remove the computer's battery for a few minutes (unplug the computer first of course)

Edited by Sterling14, 16 January 2009 - 05:38 PM.

"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers." - Thomas Watson, Chairman of IBM, 1943

#3 ektomorf

ektomorf
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2009 - 05:49 PM

right now i have cpu frequency 240(like in pic).and if i try to give it a little bit more,it says to change the frequency.Cpu clock ratio is the multiplier right? i cant change it bigger than 5x.I m doing something wrong i guess.

#4 Sterling14

Sterling14

• Members
  • 1,842 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2009 - 10:33 PM

I looked through your manual, and it didn't help too much http://america.giga-byte.com/FileList/Manu...5plus_s3g_e.pdf .

Maybe this is for a different revision. I noticed yours doesn't have timing mode.

Have you already begun doing some overclocking yourself, to get it to this point?
"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers." - Thomas Watson, Chairman of IBM, 1943

#5 ektomorf

ektomorf
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2009 - 05:46 AM

yes i have started overclocking,got it to 248,6x.I have also tryed to put ram to speed 533,but no use.
i used program called cpu speed 2.5 to test speed.If cpu is clocked it shows 1490MHz,and if not clocked then 2200Mhz.how should i understand that.
Also 3dmark 05 cpu test,clocked ~3300,without 4500.

Edited by ektomorf, 17 January 2009 - 09:29 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users