Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows XP problems

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Tonyk1

Tonyk1

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:50 PM

Posted 16 January 2009 - 02:10 PM

Hi,

I have Windows XP Pro and for the lost week or so I'm getting this problems like every time I try to use any of the M.Office programs (Word, excel ) when I start a new document I get a pop up window asking me to save the document and when I do save it the same window pops up again unlimited times. Now I get the same thing when I use any web editors they don't ask me to save the page but they pop a preview of the web page only IE doesn't stop it keeps on popping new windows and I can't stop it unless I use the task manager to terminate the program.
I checked my PC with Symantec endpoint, Counter spy, Superantispyware, comboFix, Malwarebytes, Spybot, CCleaner, but I still have the same problem.
Can you please tell me if there are any Windows settings that can correct this.
Thanks you very much
Tony

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,258 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2009 - 02:50 PM

Hi, Tony :thumbsup:.

Although I don't get continuous windows, I do get the initial "Do you want to save these changes?" window whenever I open a Word document and try to close it without having made any changes. I've always thought it was just a bug in MS Office...there are plenty of those...and I just ignore it and sometimes I say "Yes", sometimes "No", but my document is always there the next time.

The first thing I would ask...do you have any of the SPs for MS Office or Word installed? You know, those programs have updates (both critical and noncritical) just like Windows.

The second thing I would ask...have you tried uninstalling the offending application and reinstalling it? That's my typical (if erroneous) way of dealing with program bugs. If that doesn't solve it, I look for updates, download same and install same.

The one other thing I think you can do is to check Event Viewer for any errors involving the Office suite. If you see any, those would be clues that either uninstalling/reinstalling or updating (or both) may have some value.

How To Use Event Viewer - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/40108/how-to-use-event-viewer/

I will add...the only time I've ever experienced cascading windows (that may be the wrong phrase) of any sort...involved what I considered attempts to hijack my browser. Never when not in IE.

If you think it's XP, then it might be wise to run chkdsk /r on the system. Start/Run...type chkdsk /r (with space between the k and the /), hit Enter. Type Y, hit Enter. Reboot and let it run to completion, it will reboot when done.

Louis

#3 Tonyk1

Tonyk1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2009 - 03:06 PM

Thanks Louis I'll try chkdisk now by the way is not only MS products it does it with Dreamweaver even Notepad++

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,258 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2009 - 03:31 PM

FWIW: http://inetexplorer.mvps.org/answers/29.html

I don't see very much that is promising.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users