Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

unable to connect to mcafee total protection service update server

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Ket

Ket

• Members
  • 145 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:15 AM

Posted 16 January 2009 - 01:50 PM

The auto-update of Mcafee was interrupted and ever since I cannot update it. I get this message: unable to connect to mcafee total protection service update server. The Mcafee help guide is of no help. I have Mcafee 4.9.2.253 two months trial version (still 10 days to go), vista, wireless, broadband. My internet works alright for everything else. Any suggestions?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,404 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:15 PM

Posted 18 January 2009 - 11:02 PM

Have you tried un and re installing it? Are you planning on purchasing it? If so do that and then reinstall will probably fix the isue. If not then remove it and try another. WE can recommmend others.
Do you have amalware problem going on ? That can also cause this.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 Ket

Ket
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 145 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2009 - 06:19 AM

Hi and thanq for your interest. The thing is that I am a bit afraid to uninstall in case I lose my subscription because it's the trial version. These kind of problems don't make me feel like buying their products. Trial version should be persuasive not problematic. But then here we are...
I don't think there is malaware. I scanned my computer with Mcafee, windows defender and Superantispyware both in safe and normal modes and deleted the few cookies found. I also ran the Mcafee Virtual Technician and HP health Check and everything appears to be fine.
Do I have to uninstall Mcafee before I download a new version or another software? Disable it? Is there any freeware you would recomend?

#4 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,404 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2009 - 12:15 PM

Hello is your tool 2008?
Then follow instructions in Post #2 here
http://forums.mcafeehelp.com/showthread.php?t=216061

Reboot and install Antivir from our list here
Freeware Replacements For Common Commercial Apps

Run a full scan
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#5 Ket

Ket
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 145 posts
  •  

Posted 20 January 2009 - 06:34 AM

Hello again. By now the problem has been fixed with a system restore and I can update. Thank you for the information you sent. It will soon be handy as I will have to do this when the trial expires. However your first link that takes me to mcafee site redirects me to another link that has to do with the removal tool MCPR. This last one gives unexpected error. I will try to approach it another way but if you have the new link I'll be grateful. Cheers!

#6 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,404 posts
  •  

Posted 20 January 2009 - 11:32 AM

here's another
http://service.mcafee.com/FAQDocument.aspx...507&lc=1033

#7 Ket

Ket
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 145 posts
  •  

Posted 20 January 2009 - 03:20 PM

That's great! Thank you again for all your help.

#8 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,404 posts
  •  

Posted 20 January 2009 - 03:23 PM

You're welcome!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users