Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Having problems with my IE and not sure what to do

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 nickurz

nickurz

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:13 PM

Posted 16 January 2009 - 01:07 PM

I am having several problems with both my desktop and my laptop and I have no idea where to even begin to fix things. Most of what I know about computers I have figured out for myself by trial and error but this is not something I want to mess around with. The information I have is below.

Desk top:
HP Pavillion A1410N
Windows XP Pro
Service Pack 3
IE version 7

One day I went to open my IE browswer and got an error message: "windows cannot find c:/programfiles/IEXPLORE.exe". I ran a search of all the drives and it was nowhere to be found. I ran a microsoft tool that unistalls IE and tried to re-install but no luck. I did manage to find a shortcut named Internet Explorer, {871C5380-42A0-1069-A2EA-08002B30309D} which allows me to access the IE browser but my tool bars are gone, I can't use the search function, I can't search from the address bar, I can't get anything to pop up in another window...all I can do is get my home page. When I try clicking on any of my favourites links I get this message: "windows cannot find '(null)'."

Laptop:
IBM Think Pad
Windows XP Pro
Service Pack 2
IE version 6

I am able to access my IE browser from the laptop but when I click on website links I am being directed to an advertisement instead of the chosen website. Thankfully so far that seems to be the only problem with the lap top!

If there is any information that you need that I have not already supplied, please let me know. Any help at all will be greatly appreciated. Thank you. :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,116 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:13 AM

Posted 16 January 2009 - 05:54 PM

Use Super Antispyware to find and remove the malware on the laptop. After downloading, installing and UPDATING SAS in regular mode, reboot into safe mode and run the scan. Directions for using SAS are in the link below.
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/ind...t&p=1040160

Malware could also be the problem with your desktop. If you are unable to download SAS to the desktop, you can transfer SAS.exe by CD or other medium from laptop to desktop.
“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users