Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

HP Pavilion Webcam Question

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 kps2120

kps2120

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:33 AM

Posted 16 January 2009 - 12:00 PM

Hey everyone, I had a (hopefully) quick question for someone. I just got a new HP Pavilion dv5t notebook that comes with a built-in HP Webcam. There's nothing wrong with it, but I still was wondering something. Is there any way to turn the webcam off? When using AIM, for example, some people like to be on their webcam, but I don't want to be on mine. But, since it is already installed, it automatically loads the camera up. The same holds true for a couple of sites where people can broadcast their webcams.

Can I turn my cam on and off at all, without using the Device Manager? I know that the Device Manager works, but I'd have to restart it to turn it on again or off again, and I'd like to be ale to go on cam on a whim if I want to. I know this is a bit picky, but feel free to offer any and all help, even if you have a different model of an HP Pavilion notebook with built in webcam. Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,745 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:33 AM

Posted 16 January 2009 - 12:56 PM

Hi :thumbsup:.

There seem to be 3 different models with that designation, http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/pfinder...+Pavilion+dv5t+

I would try to locate the appropriate model, then click on that. On the next screen, slide down to the Manuals link and click that. There should be a webcam listed in the manual for your notebook, with pertinent info.

Looking at the manual for one, the Multimedia section should contain a section governing the webcam feature: http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c01492734.pdf

Looks to me like you ought to be able to control it via the software referenced.

Louis

#3 kps2120

kps2120
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:33 AM

Posted 17 January 2009 - 05:21 PM

Well, I have the dv5t-1000CTE model. But after looking through the manual, I don't see any way to control the cam through the software. The thing is that you can make the default cam source for the messengers and websites either directly from the cam, or from the software. But there's nothing to select the default cam as being no cam at all, if that makes sense. Thats why I wish to be able to turn the cam off, which I can't see how. Did you or anyone see something I'm missing?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users