Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Fatal Error 0xC5 - wmiacpi.sys IO System Verification

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 DR Nemo

DR Nemo

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:26 PM

Posted 16 January 2009 - 12:00 PM

My first post ...

Laptop: Dell 6400/E1505 XP SP3

Lately I have had new problems with my laptop. The first problem was that on normal boot-up that I could not start up appications. I had not installed any new software although I had a lot of freeware and update everything as often as I can. I can trace my problems back to a 'hard shutdown' (Using 'off' under 'shutdown' then suddenly becoming impatient for it to complete the process and pressing the Power button upon seeing my g/f come out of the jetway at the airport). Multiple reboots (from 1 to 5) will eventually reach a stage which I can open any & all applications.

The problem I am posting for help - the return of the dread BSOD.

I have had at least 3 BSODs starting approximately two weeks after the above incident. I cannot relate to what I was doing although once I was going back & forth on a browser page, and another was looking at my computer in the morning after leaving it on overnight and finding a BSOD.

All BSODs have the same Error message. Bug Check 0xC5: DRIVER_CORRUPTED_EXPOOL

Several internet searches & researches has not come up with a consistent cause ('check for new software installations' is the most frequent first solution), and worse there is no consistent solution. One cause implied was installation of SP3--mine was installed at least 6 months ago.

I used verifier.exe to see about signed drivers and now I can't finish a normal boot-up. This time I have (approximate):

IO System Verification Error: wmiacpi.sys + 152f@BA55D52F Error 20e

I figured out wmiacpi.sys (a signed driver) as Windows Management Interface acpi (C:\Windown\system32\drivers) v 5.1.2600.5512 which I think goes with acpi.sys Driver for NT. Both are listed as system files.

I am able to boot up in SAFE Mode without a problem.

System Log is the only thing for errors (I don't have a memory dump .txt log - I have since changed that to write all). I can find Errors (usually in pairs of the same system) for:

DCOM (Event 10010) (same for both)

System Service Mgr (Event 7600 for one, Event 7609 for the other)

I have not figured out how to use verifier.exe for debugging, but I know enough to know I am over my head now. I wish it were as easy as uninstalling then reinstalling or updating the driver. I'm not 100% if this is the entire problem though. Interestingly, if I disable most of the start-up items, I am able to complete a normal boot-up, but not able to open any applications by clicking on them. I do not know which start up may be implicated.

Questions:
1. What is the next diagnostic step or additional information needed, and
2. What else should I do?

One other item--Back in mid Nov I attempted to update the ATI CCC driver using a 3rd party driver (Dell *never, ever* updates their drivers or software, and ATI has updates for just about everyone except Dell, which they refer you back to them). This didn't work and since then after rolling it back I still get a ATI dialogue box on start-up stating the driver is not compatible or needs to be updated. Since it doesn't seem to make a difference, I just close the box out. I have not done anything with this since the initial attempts in mid-Nov.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,263 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:26 AM

Posted 16 January 2009 - 12:15 PM

Hi Dr Nemo, and welcome to BleepingComputer.

The hard shut down may have damaged some of you files in Windows, if this has been less that thirty days I would try doing a System Restore. If you don't have a restore date that goes back far enough you could try doing a Last Good Known Configuration.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,229 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:26 AM

Posted 16 January 2009 - 12:31 PM

Hi :thumbsup:.

Seems to me that there's a high probability that it's a driver problem, based on http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms796183.aspx

I would try removing all of the ATI driver software (including CCC, etc.) and then reinstalling the original video driver package from the CD, based on my limited experience with ATI drivers. Although the video drivers are not the only ones which can cause problems, I would start there.

I've also tried the Driver Verifier tool, it can be confusing, IMO.

Some of the situations where wmiacpi.sys is referenced also point to WDM drivers (which are installed as part of the ATI video drivers package).

After any hard shutdown (for whatever reason), I tend to run chkdsk /r on the boot partition, since hard shutdowns are a known possible cause of file corruption and possible mangling of system files.

Louis

#4 DR Nemo

DR Nemo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2009 - 09:07 PM

Thanks to both of you for valuable input. I suspected that the hard return had a lot to do with this, but to my recollection have never had a file loss or failure. There's a first for everything.

* The very first 0xC5 BSOD I think falls outside the 30 day window (just barely) but definitely after the ATI driver failure - I had one other anomolous BSOD (STOP code not known) since I had since the HDD & motherboard replaced 14 months ago (back then I had at least 5 different error codes - the Dell Tech who replaced everythings thinks it was a bad HDD causing all the grief), and that occurred maybe 6 months ago & may have been caused by trying to do too many things at once. I never had another for several months, but not certain just before Dec 29 when I did the hard shutdown. I had two since, and the third one brought me here.

* The Last Good Known Configuration tactic unfortunately did not work. I tried this twice. The same fatal error message: IO system verification error in wmiacpi.sys (WDM DRIVER ERROR 20e) ... at BA55D52F. I have a physical memory dump this time. I don't have a System Restore to use -- my prior experiences is that it often gets infested with worms & trojans. Strange as it may seems, some on similar computer tech sites advocate just leaving it off, and I usually do. The one thing I haven't tried is re-doing it from the Ghost. I consider that a last resort.

* I figured going back to the XP CD for the CHKDSK /r was inevitable (I ran this almost 2x/wk during that prolonged grief period over 14 months ago)--I would have tried that if I can just find that CD!

* I also have to find any other CDs that involve the ATI CCC software. The simple rollback didn't work, and I just tried the uninstall of the ATI driver. The reboot led me to the same Fatal Error Screen.

If I can find my XP OS CD, I'll run the CHKDSK /r and report back. I can't do a system backup in SAFE MODE and my last one is about a month old, but I've been going through my doc files and copying all the lastest changes in them to my external drive as a just-in-case.

Any other ideas are greatly appreciated.

-nemonc

#5 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:26 AM

Posted 17 January 2009 - 10:44 PM

After following everyone's suggestions, if you're still getting BSOD's we have a good tutorial
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/176011/how-to-receive-help-diagnosing-blue-screens-and-windows-crashes/
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#6 DR Nemo

DR Nemo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 20 January 2009 - 07:14 PM

Report back -

At long last I found my XP SP2 OS CD, but this didn't work. I ran it twice: first with CHKDSK /r & after the Fatal Error screen on bootup (same driver & message as above), I ran CHKDSK /r/p with the same result.

In the meantime I've completely uninstalled the ATI driver (done prior to the CHKDSK runs), it never gets a chance to reinstall before the boot-up BSOD, so I'm always looking at the blown-up resolution screen. That didn't make an impact, and it appears it didn't make any difference in the timing of the Fatal Error screen -- the BSOD occurs very near the end of the boot-up process, and that hasn't changed whatsoever.

I also have a Dell 'Drivers & Utilities' CD that I've never used. Would that replace the ATI driver and/or the wmiacpi.sys driver?

What should the next step(s) be presently?

dn

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,229 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:26 AM

Posted 20 January 2009 - 08:22 PM

Try the link and procedures post by Garmanma...that's what I would do.

Louis

#8 DR Nemo

DR Nemo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2009 - 06:06 PM

Limited time here ...

I looked at Garmanma's cookbook steps (very straightforward & easy), and so went to download the Win Debugger.

Problem - I can get to the MSFT site no problem download the 32-bit debugger. However ...

In SAFE MODE it won't install - I lack access to the installer. In normal mode my laptop can't finish the boot-up process without crashing, so I can't install it that way. My SAFE MODE with networking works fine. I tried using another computer with the idea of downloading, opening then transfer the .exe to my laptop, but (my everylasting curse) my work computer requires admin rights to do this (that may be good policy against the stupid and the clueless, but this sucks to whomever can manage their own). Finding another computer -- if this even works -- is daunting.

I'm open to another suggestion.

-dn

#9 DR Nemo

DR Nemo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2009 - 08:59 PM

I appreciate that you all are giving my computer problem(s) some serious thought, but I need some suggestions still.

BTW when I went back to look at System Restore, I actually have approximately 25, the earliest one is Nov 14 (the time I tried to update the ATI CCC driver). Unfortunately, none of them have worked satisfaction--late in the loading phase it will pop a dialogue window that "SR cannot restore this date", so it rolls back, and I'm back in the boot sequence in Normal Mode. And the same outcome--BSOD as described above. I've tried about 7 so far: the first (11/14), the last (Dec 22/23) and several along the way, usually trying one from each week.

Where do I go from here?

#10 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,263 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:26 AM

Posted 26 January 2009 - 09:08 PM

The only dates that will work for a System Restore are the highlighted ones.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#11 DR Nemo

DR Nemo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2009 - 09:42 AM

To All-

I have a final outcome to report:

Since nothing had successfully worked at this point, I went back to my start-up lists (I use 'what's running') because earlier when I just disabled several I thought unneccessary and noted I could reboot in Normal Mode--but not a single .exe program could be opened either from the shortcut or directly on the application (I could use some of the system tools through startup). I enabled a few and I started having the BSOD (see below) on reboot again.

So having a limited number of suspects, I started uninstalling those on the start-up list that I reenabled and then disabled again. Notable among them:
*Threatfire
*Sony Picture Utility (which would not stay disabled)
*Belarc Advisor (an older version 7.2)
*DriverMax
*Startup Optimizer
*Dell Support Center (I had attempted to update this at some time in the past)

The last one was my number one suspect of the bunch - it was also the largest and probably the most embedded of all of them.

On reboot in Normal Mode it has since worked like nothing had happened. I still get the dialog box stating that my ATI CCC driver is out-of-date (it isn't, but Dell's annoying problem of never giving updates for their products--except for their products like 'Dell Support Center' and the like--had me try some 3rd party drivers), but that was there long before the BSOD problem started (described below)--I have since installed the debugger in case of future need. I've also searched out as many updates as I can and also updated the .NET 3.5 that MSFT put on their Windows Update page. I have not reinstalled any of the above.

Had this not worked, I probably would have done the Symantec Ghost and start all over.

Thank you all for you helpful suggestions & link to garmanma's BSOD page. I wanted to report this accidental solution. I had not installed any new updates, but as noted by hamluis the likely cause is the hard shutdown.

-dn

P.S. Special Thanks to dc3 for his last suggestion :thumbsup: - Gee, I would not have figured out 'only the highlighted dates will work' since only the highlighted ones (bold dates) on clicking will advance to the 'NEXT' dialogue page and on choosing 'NEXT' it proceeds to restoring files (or at least attempt to). When I tried System Restore in the very beginning of all this (the last time I saw the BSOD but just before the start-up Fatal Error)--NONE of the dates were highlighted at the time; for several dates to later be highlighted (see above) I'm still not sure why/how that happened, but I reported it anyway in describing the history. But the first suggestion was well worth investigating. And lastly, dc3, I do appreciate the welcome msg :flowers: --collectively these were new ideas in trying to get my laptop running again, and previous searches I've done on this site here have always been productive for approaches advised by the many moderators in my own attempts to solve before asking for help.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users