Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

XP pro freezes

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 kejo

kejo

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:52 PM

Posted 16 January 2009 - 11:32 AM

Hello guys,

i re-installed XP Pro sp2 some weeks ago. then upgraded to sp3.
all was fine till some days ago:
if i use the pc for some time (more then an hour, usually), suddenly it freezes: no error message, mouse pointer doesn't move.

i ran Memtest, and all was ok (Pass completed successfully).
i ran scandisk (CHKDSK /f /r) => all is ok.

i don't think i'm infected with some sort of virus, because the system is fresh of install.

can you guys tell me what to do?

hope you can help :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,247 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:52 AM

Posted 16 January 2009 - 11:52 AM

Hi :thumbsup:.

Did you check to ensure that all fans are functioning properly? Check for possible dust buildup, leading to possible overheating? Overheating can be a common cause of unanticipated system freezes.

Cleaning A Laptop Computer - http://mobileoffice.about.com/od/usingyour...cleanlaptop.htm

Cleaning the Interior of your PC - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/cleaning-the-inside-of-your-pc/

Laptop or desktop?

Louis

#3 kejo

kejo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2009 - 01:46 PM

that's a desktop.

i've even run Seagate DOS tools that tested my hard disk: it's ok, no bad sectors.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,247 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:52 AM

Posted 16 January 2009 - 02:15 PM

If you've run the memory diag and the HD diagnostic with no cause for concern indicated...and there's no malware...and no overheating due to poor air circulation, you've pretty much eliminated my list of prime suspects.

You might try checking Event Viewer for possible clues, How To Use Event Viewer - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/40108/how-to-use-event-viewer/

Just for the heck of it, I would also take a peek at Device Manager, just to satisfy myself that I'm not missing any obvious indication of a hardware problem that it might present. I would not expect to find anything there, but I would look anyway.

I might also run the sfc /scannow command to try to eliminate the O/S from undue suspicion.

LEARN how to use SFC.EXE (system file checker) in this article! - http://www.updatexp.com/scannow-sfc.html

If all that yielded nothing satisfying and the BSODS continued, I would then try a repair install before pulling out the biggest, most guaranteed weapon...a clean install.

If that yielded no satisfaction...I'd have to start thinking about serious hardware replacements.

That's the path I take with these things...I've never had to resort to replacing a motherboard or a system or a CPU...but I have replaced hard drives, RAM, video cards, and power supplies. I'm not as gifted at diagnosing things as many others here, but I can usually determine what I should do by a process of elimination.

Louis

#5 kejo

kejo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2009 - 02:37 PM

eventwvr doesn't show any error.
device manager is ok, too.

i'll try with sfc /scannow