Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Reformatted last week, no antivirus for two days. lots of adware etc. how do I fix?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Kristina Baird

Kristina Baird

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:18 AM

Posted 16 January 2009 - 10:35 AM

Hi all. Im new at this and completely useless at keeping my computer safe evidently.

I had to reformat my computer this week (after spending many hours looking for the disc to do so) because everytime we opened internet explorer the entire computer would freeze.

So after reformatting and losing most of my data (pictures music etc.) I had been looking for new antivirus software. Problem is that Im broke so I was being cheap and looking for free antivirus etc.

Anyways McAffee (which came with computer reformat) sends up a notice that windows automatic updates is turned off. I google how to fix this. Open Admin tools and services and come to find out it has been disabled. Cannot re enable it because it gives me error code 1058.

Sooo I google error code 1058 and that is no help. Tells me the same thing over again (admin tools, services AAARGH!)

Downloaded windows defender- and oh goodie that cannot run either because automatic updates wont work. Microsoft site is no help whatsoever.
Run microsoft one care live or whatever the hell its called and it does its thing and deletes stuff. still no help. auto update still not working. though some of the popups have stopped.

Finally find another forum like this one that has suggestions.(the parasite fight) and more suggestions. I download a few different antivirus, antispyware, anti-everything- still cannot fix automatic updates. Do however learn to delete wildtangent (WHY would toshiba send this with reformat disc if its jacked up? also the same with viewpoint. )

I ran hijack this and have the log file, except hijackthis kept shutting itself off. Think I may have screwed it up. Didnt have it remove anything though because everyone says on the forums to wait for the smart people to tell me what to do. Just wanted to be prepared.

So i found here and downloaded malwarebytes (is running presently) and am hoping that someone somewhere can help my poor raped and beaten computer.

-Kristina

Edited by KoanYorel, 16 January 2009 - 10:48 AM.
To remove personal contact information to protect from spam and worse.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Kristina Baird

Kristina Baird
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:18 AM

Posted 16 January 2009 - 10:40 AM

also my apologies for the duplicate posts. evidently patience is not one of my strong suits and i just kept clicking (and I know better, your'e right)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users