Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hard Disk and Ram Limitation

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Roger Stace

Roger Stace

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:10 PM

Posted 16 January 2009 - 06:46 AM

Hi all

Please tell me what are the limitations of hard disks (IDE) can I put into this machine

Specs

200 Watt PSU , 2 MB Graphics , Windows ME , Pentuim 1 OCE Motherboard 200 Mhz CPU

It also has a slot for SD RAM and 5 Simms , please tell me what kind of ram to use (PC133 or PC100) ?

the motherboard is an Rhino 12 model.

I have a USB header on the board, can I put a mouse , infrared and USB combo card in?

Regards

Roger

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Platypus

Platypus

• 13,696 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:10 PM

Posted 16 January 2009 - 07:38 AM

I think you'll be very limited in what you can do with that board. What application do you have for it?

The Octek page is here:

http://support.octek.com.au/Products/MainB...1/mb_p1_009.htm

The total supported memory is 256MB, but individual SIMMs or DIMMs are maximum 64M. So you could use 1 x 64M SDRAM DIMM - I expect it's designed for PC66 SDRAM, it might work with PC100. All SIMM & DIMM slots can be used mixed, so 4 x 64M FP or EDO SIMMs can take the complement to the maximum 256M, or if a DIMM is fitted, the remainder up to 256M can be fitted as SIMMs.

The HDD controller is UDMA33, and the BIOS appears to be CHS, so the maximum HDD size is probably 8GB.

Top 5 things that never get done:

#3 HitSquad

HitSquad

You're Bleepin' or you're Weepin'

• Members
  • 1,573 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:10 AM

Posted 16 January 2009 - 07:44 AM

Hi Roger
A system of that vintage will be limited mostly by the bios. It will not likely see all of the space currently available on any IDE drives available today without multiple partitions. Even then it would be a pita at best. :thumbsup:
The single best workaround would be to use a IDE controller card, provided you have an available PCI slot.
Because the card uses it's own bios and addresses 48 bit lba,you avoid the 137GB limit.
I use to use the promise line of cards in the win95\98 days on older systems. They worked well. Example here.
As for your usb port, it likely only supports the older\slower 1.0. You would want to make sure any usb device you use is backward compatable. Once again, you may find an upgrade card for that too but you don't want to push your PS too far.

#4 Roger Stace

Roger Stace
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2009 - 05:05 AM

Hi Guys

Thanks so much. I just use that machine for Pastel 5 anyhow, I have just have a 4.3 gb Hdd that sees it as large , but still boots.

Regards

Roger

#5 Platypus

Platypus

• 13,696 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:10 PM

Posted 17 January 2009 - 07:05 AM

If you mean LARGE mode in the BIOS, that is a mode of CHS translation allowing a drive up to 8.4GB to be used, but it's an unusual mode included to be compatible with the way some uncommon operating systems understand CHS translation (I think UNIX and some early versions of Linux).

If the drive has been set up in LARGE mode, leave it set that way. If LARGE mode is changed (eg to LBA) the drive can be corrupted. Keep this in mind if your BIOS backup battery goes flat. If the BIOS then loses its settings, auto-detects the drive and sets LBA mode, the drive contents could be corrupted and lost.

Edited by Platypus, 17 January 2009 - 07:06 AM.

Top 5 things that never get done:

#6 isearch

isearch

• Banned
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:10 AM

Posted 17 January 2009 - 09:10 AM

which motherboard would you like to prefer for run all latest applications even it need to support durable old applications

#7 Roger Stace

Roger Stace
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2009 - 12:40 PM

Hi all

I just need it for old applications. and no the bios set it automatically to large because its set to auto in the bios

I am doing accounting which is running 16 bit applications and windows me.

I want to get the machine a bit faster for Windows to run stable without a reboot.

Thanks

Roger

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users