Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Immediate logoff after logon question

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 geno368

geno368

• Members
  • 255 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:38 PM

Posted 15 January 2009 - 10:09 PM

I have an older Gateway which is running XP Prof. Yesterday, when I turned it on, I logged on and it started loading my settings and then it automatically started a logoff process and completed. I booted in safe mode and it did the same thing...I've tried it many times with the same result...What can I do to fix? Thanks for any help

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:38 PM

Posted 15 January 2009 - 11:02 PM

Insert the Windows XP CD into the CD drive, and then restart the computer. Click to select any options that are required to start the computer from the CD drive if you are prompted. When the "Welcome to Setup" screen appears, press R to start the Recovery Console. If you have a dual-boot or multiple-boot computer, select the installation that you must access from the Recovery Console. When you are prompted, type the Administrator password. If the administrator password is blank, just press ENTER.

Type: chkdsk /r

It's important to have a space before the "/".

To exit the Recovery Console and restart the computer, type exit at the command prompt, and then press ENTER.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#3 geno368

geno368
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 255 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2009 - 11:48 PM

Thanks for the reply...This is an older system(2002) and we don't have the system disk...she bought it used.....

#4 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2009 - 12:04 AM

You can create your own Recovery Console disk with this file:

http://www.thecomputerparamedic.com/files/rc.iso

You must burn this file to a CD as an ISO. Post back if you need more information on how to do this.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#5 geno368

geno368
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 255 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2009 - 12:30 AM

Thanks, Budapest...please advise

#6 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2009 - 12:58 AM

Download and install the freeware version of DeepBurner.

http://www.deepburner.com/

When you first start the program select "Burn ISO Image". Select the Image File as the RC.iso file I linked to in my previous post. Insert a blank CD and click Burn.

—George Bernard Shaw

#7 geno368

geno368
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 255 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2009 - 12:16 PM

Thanks, again for your help. I ran the utility and it showed that it fixed one or more errors, but it still did the same thing on reboot. What is causing this?

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,127 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2009 - 12:43 PM

Possible malware, http://www.ntcompatible.com/thread31505-1.html

The original which was used in the link above: http://hardwareforu.blogspot.com/2008/06/i...login-into.html

I would suggest posting at BleepingComputer.com - Am I infected What do I do - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/f/103/am-i-infected-what-do-i-do/ , as opposed to trying to solve this yourself.

If it is a malware situation, they will know the proper steps to take. If not, they will refer you back here and that will be one less possibility to consider.

Louis

#9 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2009 - 03:25 PM

Run chkdsk again and see if it is still reporting errors.

—George Bernard Shaw

#10 lowtek_otc

lowtek_otc

• Members
  • 280 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2009 - 05:29 PM

This has worked for me several times, however once you fix it, if you do not resolve the issue, as soon as you reboot the computer, the issue will return so you will have to run the fix again every time your reboot until the issue is completely resolved. This issue is most likely malware if it "just started happening"

http://thinkinginpixels.com/quick-fixes/fi...onlog-off-loop/

However be SURE to follow Budapest's advice and continue to run chkdsk /r until it reports no issues.

#11 geno368

geno368
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 255 posts
  •  

Posted 18 January 2009 - 03:24 PM

Thanks for the help...I tried to follow the instructions on my other desktop running Vista home prem, bit it asked me if I wanted the program to find the windows installation files....I was lost so I quit the program..should I need to do this on a XP system?

#12 geno368

geno368
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 255 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2009 - 11:51 AM

In another section of this forum, it was suggested in the recovery console to type the following:

cd system32
copy userinit.exe wsaupdater.exe
exit

When I did that it replied" file not found"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users