Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

XP Start up Problems

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 wolfecubbies31

wolfecubbies31

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:21 AM

Posted 15 January 2009 - 09:54 PM

I have recently gone through a malware fix that required me to change my Msconfig to Normal Startup. I want to keep this on normal start up but I have some problems with a few programs that automatically try to run when i start up my computer. The Real Player program automatically opens and causes my computer to run slow at start up. How do I fix this? I do not use Real Player and there is no option in the program that I can find to stop it from opening at start up. Also, this program does not appear on my Add/Remove programs list on the control panel so I can't uninstall it either. Let me know what I can do!!!

I would prefer to keep this program on my computer, I just don't want it to start at start up and slow down my computer. If I need to redownload it after a removal I can handle that too.

Edited by wolfecubbies31, 15 January 2009 - 10:01 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Guest_Jay-P VIP_*

Guest_Jay-P VIP_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 15 January 2009 - 10:07 PM

Start the Application Real Player. When loaded, click the menu 'TOOLS' and then click 'PREFERENCES'.

First, expand Automatic Services and click AutoUpdate. Uncheck the box next to "Automatically Download and Install Important Updates." Click OK. Close the program.

Lastly, download Autoruns, which can help you manage your start up!

Edited by Jay-P VIP, 15 January 2009 - 10:08 PM.

#3 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 15 January 2009 - 11:07 PM

If you do need to uninstall Real Player, Start menu/All Programs.
If the Real folder is there, you should have an uninstall option.
Whenever installing RP, make sure you uncheck all the boxes for "extras".

#4 lowtek_otc

lowtek_otc

• Members
  • 280 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:21 AM

Posted 16 January 2009 - 01:33 AM

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/windows-program-automatic-startup-locations/

More info about the registry: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_registry
These are the most common locations:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run

Edited by lowtek_otc, 16 January 2009 - 01:35 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users