Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

computer hard on start up

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 jhanzky

jhanzky

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:21 AM

Posted 15 January 2009 - 09:25 PM

hi guys, im being confused by the way my PC behaves.
everytime i turn on my pc it wont start, it's like i'll do 10 restarts and some shutdowns to get it to run,
but when i get it to start, sometime ,, maybe like after 1min. it shut downs it self, after it shut down itself,
i'll turn it on, but not as hard as i start it on the first boot.i don't know whats going on.
my PC was freshly installed with windows xp sp2 3 days ago ,has 1gb ram,pentium 4 2.66Ghz
can anyone help me guys?

thanks ..

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Guest_Jay-P VIP_*

Guest_Jay-P VIP_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 15 January 2009 - 09:46 PM

Your partition is corrupted. This is caused by damage to Windows Files. You must do a clean re-install of Windows XP.

The corruption of Windows\System32\Hal.dll, which is caused by a bad boot record.

The Microsoft Support Article can take it from here, and you may need help with advanced troubleshooting.

#3 Platypus

Platypus

• Global Moderator
  • 15,194 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2009 - 04:58 AM

Try to enter the BIOS setup using the key indicated on the startup screen, eg Del or F1. If the basic system components like PSU, motherboard, CPU, memory have no hardware fault, it should display the BIOS setup screen and enable you to check system health, including CPU temperature and PSU rail voltages. If these all appear normal, then proceed to check for faults with drives or Windows installation.

If the system can't even enter the BIOS setup without continuing to restart, there is a hardware fault, one of the first candidates would be the PSU, also if the motherboard has bad/leaking electrolytic capacitors it could produce symptoms like yours.

Edited by Platypus, 16 January 2009 - 05:10 AM.

Top 5 things that never get done:

#4 jhanzky

jhanzky
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:21 AM

Posted 16 January 2009 - 07:52 PM

hi guys,
i have installed a new fresh clean copy of windows xp on my C: drive, i have 3 partitions the C: ,D: and E:,
after my installation of xp, it's still hard to start. sometimes it says "floppy controller failure press f1 to continue" and sometimes it dont,i have also checked the BIOS and i guess everything's normal there.

is this a hardware fault??

#5 Platypus

Platypus

• Global Moderator
  • 15,194 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2009 - 08:53 PM

Hi, so you can enter the BIOS without any difficulty, and the system then runs without restarting and you can see normal temperature readings for CPU and normal voltage readings (+3.3V, +5V, +12V etc)?

In that case the basic hardware is probably OK (there could still be a PSU fault for example when it comes under load).

When you say hard to start, how far does it get? Is Windows loading, do you ever get to the Windows Desktop, does it always re-start when it's doing the same thing? If Windows can never fully load up and the system reboots when it reaches the same point each time, then as Jay-P has suggested, the Windows installation may be corrupted. Or the hard drive could have a fault.

The floppy controller failure occurring only sometimes is a bit suspicious, does the system have a FDD? Does the BIOS clock keep the correct time and date? If not, the CMOS backup battery may be going flat and the BIOS could be losing some of its settings.

Edited by Platypus, 16 January 2009 - 08:54 PM.

#6 jhanzky

jhanzky
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:21 AM

Posted 16 January 2009 - 09:20 PM

hi.
yEp, i can enter BIOS with no difficulty. i haven't seen the voltages yet, but i guess they are normal, the CMOS battery is a new one, i think its not the problem. and i have installed a new fresh copy of windows xp, sound's a bit strange if it becomes the problem. or could it be the hard drive? i haven't reformatted D: and E: for a long time now.

After the PC is turned off for a long period of hours. it becomes hard to start, when i turn it on. it tells me to press F1 (floppy controller failure) sometimes it don't, after i press f1 it turns black and stocks up. and a few more restarts i can get it to the screen of Windows XP (the loading screen) then it turns black again. i restart it again, few more, then i can get it to welcome screen, and i have finished my long journey of starting this thing. ^_^ ,

the automatic restarting of the pc has been fixed. maybe because of the new installation..

#7 Guest_Jay-P VIP_*

Guest_Jay-P VIP_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 16 January 2009 - 10:27 PM

the automatic restarting of the pc has been fixed. maybe because of the new installation..

The problem was damaged system files. It has happened in several computers that I have serviced, and the end result always came up was that the OS needed re-installed.

#8 jhanzky

jhanzky
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2009 - 11:17 PM

now my big problems is the journey to start the pc. haha..

#9 Platypus

Platypus

• Global Moderator
  • 15,194 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2009 - 08:03 AM

a few more restarts i can get it to the screen of Windows XP (the loading screen) then it turns black again. i restart it again, few more, then i can get it to welcome screen

This could be the cause of the corruption that happened to the Windows installation. Being worse after a period of being turned off is characteristic of bad capacitors, either in the PSU, on the motherboard or both. So that's one possibility, trying a known good PSU would show if it is the cause, and a check of the motherboard (and the video card if not on-board video) for any split, bulging or leaking electrolytic capacitors would also be a good idea.

#10 isearch

isearch

• Banned
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2009 - 09:17 AM

you can try once run C cleaner software it might be due to spyware and anti virus.remove temp files and images from c drive-my documents & desktop.

#11 Guest_Jay-P VIP_*

Guest_Jay-P VIP_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 17 January 2009 - 10:50 AM

This could be the cause of the corruption that happened to the Windows installation. Being worse after a period of being turned off is characteristic of bad capacitors, either in the PSU, on the motherboard or both.

This is exactly how Damaged Windows XP computers act. What is your computer's BIOS date?

Reason for edit: typo

Edited by Jay-P VIP, 17 January 2009 - 10:57 AM.

#12 Guest_Jay-P VIP_*

Guest_Jay-P VIP_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 17 January 2009 - 10:54 AM

you can try once run C cleaner software it might be due to spyware and anti virus.remove temp files and images from c drive-my documents & desktop.

This is a good thing to consider if the problem was not in the OS. Now that the OS is re-installed, there will be no issues with Malware, or temporary files. Thank you for providing the information, but it is invalid for this post.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users