Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Dell Laptop, "Plugged in, not charging"

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#1 FreeRadicals

FreeRadicals

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:58 PM

Posted 15 January 2009 - 09:09 PM

Dell Inspiron E1705 (2 of them, same problem) battery icon mostly displays, "Plugged in, not charging". Frequently, it will give a warning that it does not recognize the power source and to use a Dell powercord at least 90W. That warning comes with the Dell (original) cord and a new replacement (old one burned up). The amount of battery power does not change, yet it receives power. I need to repeatedly plug and unplug the adapter from the laptop to change said mode to "Plugged in, charging". Unfortunately the "not charging" is becoming far more frequent on both laptops. I'm thinking it's either the connector on the laptop wearing out, or the battery is 'circling the drain'.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Guest_Jay-P VIP_*

Guest_Jay-P VIP_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 15 January 2009 - 09:21 PM

After reading several articles, such as this one, it looks like the battery is no good.

I would recommend that you replace your battery as soon as possible.

Edited by Jay-P VIP, 15 January 2009 - 09:26 PM.

#3 FreeRadicals

FreeRadicals
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2009 - 09:32 PM

Thanks for your prompt reply

Year is 2007 (BIOS 4/2007)

I'll be going to the update site now.

Paula

#4 FreeRadicals

FreeRadicals
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2009 - 09:37 PM

...what happened to the reply that had a link to Dell updates for BIOS?

#5 FreeRadicals

FreeRadicals
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2009 - 09:50 PM

Jay,

The article discusses battery life (a measily 78 min [mostly <60])) but not battery lifetime issues. I agree, though, the problem may be related to the battery itself.

Paula

#6 Guest_Jay-P VIP_*

Guest_Jay-P VIP_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 15 January 2009 - 09:54 PM

I am sorry, if you would still like to update your Bios, search for Flash Bios update.

Dell Downloads

#7 FreeRadicals

FreeRadicals
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2009 - 10:01 PM

Thanks Jay,

I hadn't realized you'd changed your post. I don't think it will hurt to update the BIOS but I'm checking out Ebay for 2 batteries.

#8 Guest_Jay-P VIP_*

Guest_Jay-P VIP_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 15 January 2009 - 10:44 PM

Once again, sorry about that. Please let me know if there is any more help that you need!

#9 FreeRadicals

FreeRadicals
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2009 - 09:20 AM

Jay,
I tried the Dell update. 41 updates! However, ...the most "Urgent" was a MediaDirect update. Apparently they 'urgently' need to sell me more stuff. The "Recommended" were all peripheries, BlueTooth, Audio, etc. Nothing looked like it would affect BIOS or the overall performance of my laptops. Your recommendation for a battery is the best, I think. $40. new, on Ebay (>$160. @Dell).

We shall see.

Paula

#10 pochp

pochp

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  

Posted 18 January 2009 - 04:09 AM

If you're using an adapter, it might be malfunctioning.
pochp.wordpress.com
Plato on-line

#11 FreeRadicals

FreeRadicals
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2009 - 03:13 PM

As stated in the original post, the adapter was replaced and the laptop made no distinction between Dell and the replacement, mostly "plugged in, not charging".

Since my original post-
I've gone from bad to worse... the message is always "plugged in, not charging" and I can't get it to charge doing my usual 'song and dance' by plugging and unplugging the adapter. I bought a new battery and the message remains the same. The battery is slowly dying.

Anybody with any ideas ? The DELL laptop is only about 18 mo. old. Did I say it was a DELL? I think the spelling is D E L L .

Help :~(

Paula

#12 Guest_Jay-P VIP_*

Guest_Jay-P VIP_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 24 January 2009 - 05:08 PM

LAST SOLUTION

Contact DELL Support

http://support.dell.com/support/index.aspx...=gen&~ck=mn

Make sure your service tag is handy. The service tag is located on the UPC of the unit.

#13 FreeRadicals

FreeRadicals
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2009 - 11:31 PM

Thanks Jay,

Unfortunately it cost money to even ask for help and I'm not feeling much like ingratiating Dell any further.

It doesn't make sense to be a physical problem with the connection because the laptop receives power. I reinstalled the battery software, since I read Vista (no kidding) has problems and it could be corrupt, but that didn't work either.

Thanks again,
Paula

#14 Goldwyn

Goldwyn

• Members
  • 194 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:58 AM

Posted 25 January 2009 - 03:36 AM

Thanks Jay,

Unfortunately it cost money to even ask for help and I'm not feeling much like ingratiating Dell any further.

It doesn't make sense to be a physical problem with the connection because the laptop receives power. I reinstalled the battery software, since I read Vista (no kidding) has problems and it could be corrupt, but that didn't work either.

Thanks again,
Paula

Okay. I understand you are having an issue with your battery. However. With Linux Windows or Apple software. Non of these operating systems contributes to the failure to charging your battery. For example your battery will charge completely without the computer being on. Food for thought if you will. Carelessly blaming the Operating system isn't a first step to a solution. This is a hardware issue that for the most part may need attention to someone that can physically look at the charging circuit. The only solution I can come up with. Being I run an asus G2S model. In the bios. It has Calibrate battery. Maybe that could be something that the dell Laptop may have. Run this a few times. This will clear the batteries smart chip. What it will do is force charge it to full and drain it to empty and charge it once again.
Posted Image

#15 Guest_Jay-P VIP_*

Guest_Jay-P VIP_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 25 January 2009 - 07:16 AM

Carelessly blaming the Operating system isn't a first step to a solution. This is a hardware issue that for the most part may need attention to someone that can physically look at the charging circuit.

Please stay neutral until the actual problem is determined!

This is too specific of an issue to jump to conclusions. It is either hardware or software. Identifying the direct issue is better than just assuming.

Now Goldwyn, please keep in mind that entering the BIOS is not recommended.

Paula, for a better calibration of the Notebook battery, a reference page should be found here.

Next, download the Laptop Battery Tester if XP or lower.
Please give information if possible in your next reply about this software and its test.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users