Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

monitor flashing light

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 petstep

petstep

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:34 PM

Posted 15 January 2009 - 07:46 PM

I have an acer computer with an acer al1716 lcd monitor. This system is usually left switched on but last night decided to shut down to save power. On powering up this morning there is no longer any diplay, just the light on the power switch alternating yellow/off. There is no mention of this in the manual, only green light when on, orange when asleep. I have pluged in a spare monitor and it works fine.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rigacci

rigacci

Fiorentino

• Members
  • 2,604 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:34 AM

Posted 16 January 2009 - 01:10 PM

Try plugging the suspicious monitor into a known good computer to verify the monitor is bad.

Sometimes also a 'reseatting' of the video card or video output cable can help.

I have a 19" Acer and have never seen anything like that. Usually the orange lights up when the monitor is not receiving a signal.

Check the pins in the monitor plug. All it takes is one bent of broken pin to mess it all up.

Good luck.

Dave R.

#3 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,967 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2009 - 07:49 PM

Having a second monitor work correctly on your system indicates the problem lies with your Acer. Check that the video out on the computer hasn't defaulted to a refresh rate the Acer can't handle, but the spare monitor can - the Acer's "out of range" indication may be the flashing signal.

Beyond that, as rigacci suggests, try the Acer on another computer, or even power it up not connected to anything. Most monitors under this condition will display a splash screen then indicate "No Signal" or similar before going into standby.

If it won't operate correctly in either of these circumstances, I suspect it probably has some bad capacitors in its power supply. This can cause the situation you've described. As long as the monitor stays connected to the mains and just goes between standby and power-on, it works, but once the mains power is removed, the PSU can't kick into gear again because of weak capacitors.

Top 5 things that never get done:

#4 petstep

petstep
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2009 - 04:56 PM

Thanks a lot rigacci and platypus. Will have another play.

#5 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,130 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:34 AM

Posted 22 January 2009 - 11:10 AM

I have the same monitor on one computer, it is perfectly normal if you shut down and leave the monitor powered up it goes into a sleep mode with the light next to the switch blinking.

Edit: Sorry I did not read your full post, something may have gone wrong with the monitors sleep mode, try just un plugging and re plugging that may clear it.

Phil

Edited by OldPhil, 22 January 2009 - 11:14 AM.

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users