Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't browse certain sites

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Hawg

Hawg

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:13 AM

Posted 15 January 2009 - 07:24 PM

Greetings,

I am working on a computer that can get to a lot of sites but there are quite a few it cannot get to. If I type the ip address of a problem site, it will go there. I can't use the name in a browser and I can't ping it by name. I can ping the ip address of the site consistently but then I can't ping or browse the site by it's name.

I combofixed the machine and have done Counterspy and AVG scans. It doesn't look like a virus at this poing. I'm thinking TCPIP stack problem?

Windows Firewall is off. It has a static ip on our corporate network. It points to our dns servers. My other workstation is browsing normally with the same ip config values.

Fortunately Bleepingcomputer.com is not one of them.

This has been a difficult nut to crack. Any help is appreciated!!

Thanks,

Pat

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Guest_Jay-P VIP_*

Guest_Jay-P VIP_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 15 January 2009 - 07:47 PM

The Internet service provider or Administrator will have to be contacted; or the web site you are trying to go to has blocked your IP address because of possible past abuse or certasin settings in your browser.

The browser issue is dealing with displaying Mixed content, however, you did say that you tried to ping the information. Sometimes some network hosts generate a "Network Rejection Error," because it requires the user agent of your ISP to display the content on your computer, which deals mostly with HOSTS files.

#3 Hawg

Hawg
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2009 - 08:13 PM

I am going to take the pc home. Lately at work we have been battling a conficker worm infection. It's anyone's guess what the firewall and network folks have been doing with their acl's and rules to fight the thing on our network. My problem could be related to that so I'll put in my samaller known home environment.

Thanks for your reply. Good stuff to consider. If the same thing happens at home, it rules out the ISP.

#4 Guest_Jay-P VIP_*

Guest_Jay-P VIP_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 15 January 2009 - 09:00 PM

If the same thing happens at home, it rules out the ISP.

You are right, it does. And this may take you to possibly updating the driver or hardware of your network card(s). As new technology emerges, it requires new Data to help operate with the Standards.

Reason for edit: added hardware in explanation

Edited by Jay-P VIP, 15 January 2009 - 09:04 PM.

#5 Hawg

Hawg
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:13 AM

Posted 20 January 2009 - 02:33 PM

Hi Jay-P. Issue is resolved. The PC had a worm causing all the fracas. Cleaned it off, re-enabled some services and now all is happiness and light. Thanks for your help and input.

Pat

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users