Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Logitech G5 Mouse not working

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Ryan 3000

Ryan 3000

• Members
  • 834 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:42 PM

Posted 15 January 2009 - 05:02 PM

I received a Logitech G5 mouse from a friend, new in box, and plugged it into my PC. It was greatly fun for 5 minutes, but then everything changed. I began to install the Logitech SetPoint software. As the install started, the mouse stopped working, though its lights were still lit (but not the laser). After the SetPoint software finished, the laser was still off, and was not tracking. I restarted the computer, and it still did not light up, or track. The buttons work fine. I'm thinking that either the laser decided to burn out after 5 minutes or SetPoint did something horrible. I've uninstalled setpoint, downloaded drivers for the mouse, downloaded other versions of SetPoint, and tried my mouse in a few other USB ports. It still has failed to track. Let me just reiterate, the buttons on the mouse work, and I can program them using SetPoint, but the laser that tracks does not seem to be lit, and the G5 does not move the cursor.
Thanks in advance for help.

I should also note that I have a Logitech S510 keyboard and LS5 cordless mouse, both from Logitech. I've tried to unplug them and use the G5, but it just doesn't work.
XP SP3

Edited by Ryan 3000, 15 January 2009 - 05:30 PM.

No pessimist ever discovered the secrets of the stars, or sailed to an uncharted land.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Ryan 3000

Ryan 3000
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 834 posts
  •  

Posted 18 January 2009 - 10:31 PM

Epic fail. I did a system restore to a week ago and it still didn't work. The restore completely removed the driver, which was reinstalled on the reboot. Sounds like this laser died pretty quickly. Resolved for now.
No pessimist ever discovered the secrets of the stars, or sailed to an uncharted land.

#3 Ryan 3000

Ryan 3000
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 834 posts
  •  

Posted 28 January 2009 - 03:07 PM

I opened the mouse up. Guess that voids the warranty. But when I opened it, it looked like the only broken part was the LED that illuminated the laser tracker. Please tell me I can just replace this with another red LED? It would be nice to know before I start butchering the mouse. I think that would explain why it stopped working when the light went out. But I need to know, was that a regular LED?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users