Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

HP WINDOWXP 8 CD'S RE-INSTALL HELP

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 STRESSED

STRESSED

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:20 PM

Posted 15 January 2009 - 04:29 PM

HI GUYZ, I'M HAVING MAJOR PROBLEMS WITH MY PC...ITS EXTREMELY SLOW, I WOULD LIKE TO CLEAN IT UP LITERALLY AND USE THE 8 CD'S I HAD TO MAKE WHEN I GOT MY PC TO INSTALL EVERYTHING ALL OVER AGAIN...PROBLEM IS I DON;T KNOW HOW TO DO ALL THIS . CAN ANYONE HELP ME PLEASE.. THANKS

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:20 AM

Posted 15 January 2009 - 05:17 PM

What's the make and model number of your computer (eg. Dell Latitude D830)?
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#3 Charybdis

Charybdis

• Members
  • 146 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2009 - 05:21 PM

All you have to do is put the first cd in the drive and boot off it, but there are a couple of issues
1. This sort of restore is likely to wipe the drive and put everything back on it as new, so everything you have installed since then will need to be reinstalled.
2. This also usually wipes the data as well (including but not limited to your email, documents, pictures, save games music etc.)
3. Check to make sure the cd's are readable because not being able to use one mid restore would make life very difficult.

I have found that the common cause for pc slowness is usually caused by malware, or the programs that guard against it like av programs, and you might find that after reinstalling and doing all the update that the system slows down again, but this is all guesswork as we know nothing about your pc.
Do you know your pc specs, what av you are running, how much memory, what operating system etc, as it might be easier to fix the slowness issue.

#4 STRESSED

STRESSED
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2009 - 06:05 PM

THANKS FOR REPLYING SO FAST.......OK' NO I KNOW THAT THE PC INFO YOU ARE REQUESTING IS EASY FOR ME TO FIND..TELL ME HOW AND I GIVE IT TO YOU...AND HERES THE OTHER THING, HOW DO I BOOT UP A DISC.....I'VE PUT THE FIRST ONE IN AND ALL IT DOES NOTHING, SO I WENT INTO EXPLORE IN IT TO SEE AND ALL I SEE ARE TONS OF FILES...MEANS ALOT TO YOU IM SURE, BUT T O ME NOTHING LOL

#5 STRESSED

STRESSED
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2009 - 06:09 PM

AND IF THIS ISSUE CAN BE FIXED WITHOUT HAVING TO START OVER, THATS GREAT TOO.....U SEE, I HAD A NEW HARDDRIVE INSTALLED A WHILE BACK AND NEGLECTED TO GIVE THE GEEK SQUAD THE ORIGINAL DISCS BECAUSE I MISPLACED THEM...BUT I DID EVENTUALLY FIND THEM.... TRUTHFULLY ALL I WANT IS A CLEAN PC...BY SON HAS DOWNLOADED AND UNLOADED SO MUCH STUFF I DONT KNOW WHAT I NEED AND WHAT I DO AND WAHT I MAY HAVE LOST..

#6 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2009 - 06:14 PM

Normally it's written on the case of the computer somewhere. You could also try right-clicking on My Computer and selecting Properties, sometimes you'll find the info there.

To boot from the disk insert it into your CD driver and then restart the computer.

If you want to try cleaning your computer start a new topic in the "Am I Infected..." forum:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/f/103/am-i-infected-what-do-i-do/
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#7 bicycle bill

bicycle bill

• Banned
  • 339 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:20 PM

Posted 15 January 2009 - 06:42 PM

Click

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users