Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

The Blue Screen of Death! Please Help!

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 Beeker

Beeker

• Members
  • 70 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:26 PM

Posted 15 January 2009 - 04:06 PM

Not a good situation:
I went away for about 3 weeks, visiting friends overseas. My computer was fine before I left and nobody used it while I was away. While I was at a friend's house, I noticed he was having trouble with his pc. Just out of the blue, it wouldn't start properly. The error messages were in another language, so I don't know what happened. My friend is pretty smart with pcs, so by the next day, he had it fixed. Now, with my pc, I am having trouble. When I turn it on, I get the blue screen that says "A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer." Then it gives an error code and goes on to tell me to turn off the computer and start it in safe mode, etc.
Last night, I was able to finally get it online long enough to update windows, and noticed that one of the updates was a tool to fix malware. This leads me to believe that I might have a virus or a worm. I updated all of my software, and ran the scans, but nothing is found. Today, my pc is back to not starting and instead giving me that blue screen with the error message. I can't get anywhere with it. I can only run it in safe mode and cannot get online with it.
Please help.
I am using Windows XP Home Office Service Pack 3
Intel Centrino
When I got online briefly, last night, I updated Windows and my antivirus software.
I ran scans last night and today with my AVG antivirus and Adaware,
I ran a check disk today to check and clean any hard disk errors.
My friend told me to try ComboFix but I cannot get online to download it nor can I load it via flash disk.

Thank you in advance for any help and advice you can give.

Edited by Beeker, 15 January 2009 - 04:38 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Beeker

Beeker
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 70 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2009 - 05:01 PM

My computer WILL NOT RUN unless it is in SAFE MODE. I cannot load any updates or programs such as combofix or Malwarebytes from my stick because my computer won't recognize the stick. I have read some other posts looking for ideas and I see that some people are talking about finding and deleting lines in their registry. I don't know how to do that.
I have also seen that there are people looking at my thread but nobody has posted any reply. Am I missing information that is needed for people to be able to help me? I really need help. Please, my hands are tied at this point.

#3 Beeker

Beeker
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 70 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2009 - 06:52 PM

When I turn on my computer, this is what I see:

Posted Image
Posted Image

My computer will only run in safe mode.
It was running fine before I went on vacation, nobody used it while I was away, when I got back this is what I saw. Last night, I ran a virus scan in safe mode and was able to start normally and download some updates to my virus scanner and windows. One of the three security updates for windows was a malware fix tool. This leads me to believe that I might have an infection of some sort. This morning, I cannot run my computer unless it is in safe mode. It won't even run in safe mode with networking, only plain safe mode. I have run my AVG virus scan and it comes up empty, same with Ad-Aware. I have also run a disk check for errors. That is all I feel comfortable doing on my own. Any and all help and advice is greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance for any help you can give.

Edited by garmanma, 15 January 2009 - 07:16 PM.

#4 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:26 PM

Posted 15 January 2009 - 07:13 PM

Try this in Safe Mode:

Right click on the C drive in Explorer and go Properties > Tools > Check Now (under Error Checking). Check both boxes then click "Start Now". A message will pop up saying that Error Checking will run after you restart the computer. Restart the computer and Error Checking will run automatically after the restart. After itís finished it will restart into Windows automatically.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#5 Beeker

Beeker
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 70 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2009 - 07:25 PM

Thank you for your reply.
I did that before and it didn't work. It still starts with the blue screen. I tried to run the error checking again but when I restarted the computer this time, instead of starting the error checking, it gave me that same blue screen with the error message. Also, when I shutdown the computer to restart it or just turn it off, it gives me that "end now" box.

#6 PCwarrior

PCwarrior

• Members
  • 203 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:26 PM

Posted 15 January 2009 - 07:31 PM

Welcome , Beeker. I cant help, but feel your pain, many times, I might add.
There are loads of very wise people that moderate and thread this site, but be strong some one will come along.
(new,12/23/09) ASUS Crosshair III, Phenom IIx4 955 Blk Ed, Zalman 9500 HS, Saphire 5770 vga, W-7/64bit, 8g/Corsair/1600 RAM, 850w HX Corsair PSU, WD CB/500gb HD, Pioneer CD/DVD, Smilodon/Dirk-Tooth(modded), All custom&controlled fans. Shhhh lol :)

#7 Beeker

Beeker
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 70 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2009 - 07:37 PM

Thank you for your kind words.
Yes, this is difficult, especially since I am looking for work and my resume is on that computer. When I try to hook up my stick to load a program or get my documents from that computer, the computer won't even recognize the stick. This is quite scary.

#8 PCwarrior

PCwarrior

• Members
  • 203 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2009 - 07:43 PM

I do know the window malicios softwhere removal tool down loads about once a month. Micro soft updates it with there known threat detection voodoo and it is a search once type instument from what I can tell. Not a full blown threat machine like AVG, or Malwarebytes. In fact the last virus / trojan / what ever it was, was not found with my AVG. The threat had infultrated deep enough to make my AVG updates not work (install/download). Mal. found several and super antispy found more that Ad-aware missed as well. I now have all four (not running together, at the same time mind you). Od that it all went kapoots upon return from Vacation though. Is it poss you left the pc in sleep or Hibe. The reason i ask is that it may have given somthing a chance to multiply(trojan) if the pc woke while you were away? Sorry I cant be more help.
(new,12/23/09) ASUS Crosshair III, Phenom IIx4 955 Blk Ed, Zalman 9500 HS, Saphire 5770 vga, W-7/64bit, 8g/Corsair/1600 RAM, 850w HX Corsair PSU, WD CB/500gb HD, Pioneer CD/DVD, Smilodon/Dirk-Tooth(modded), All custom&controlled fans. Shhhh lol :)

#9 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2009 - 07:49 PM

This type of error is usually caused by corrupt hardware drivers.

Try and run through the steps given here:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/176011/how-to-receive-help-diagnosing-blue-screens-and-windows-crashes/
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#10 Beeker

Beeker
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 70 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2009 - 07:50 PM

No, I'm sure I turned it off before I left. And, it's a laptop. I unplugged the power so, even if it were still on, the battery would have worn out.
Now, I can't get into the safe mode. It won't get past the partition listing.
If I can get this computer running, I might get those other programs. They sound good.

Edited by Beeker, 16 January 2009 - 08:30 AM.

#11 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2009 - 07:55 PM

What's the make and model number of your computer?

—George Bernard Shaw

#12 Beeker

Beeker
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 70 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2009 - 07:58 PM

It is a Dell Inspiron 600m

This time, when I tried to restart it in safe mode, it won't finish listing the partitions. It is stuck in the list.

#13 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2009 - 08:13 PM

Does your computer have the Dell Diagnostics Utility on it (or on a CD maybe)? You should try running some hardware diagnostic tests.

—George Bernard Shaw

#14 PCwarrior

PCwarrior

• Members
  • 203 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2009 - 08:16 PM

Buda? Ive had to start in some kind of DOS mode before to stop things from starting in safe before (i dont remember the prop term though) might this help?

#15 Beeker

Beeker
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 70 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2009 - 08:20 PM

I tried to put in the cd but I still cannot get through the partitions listing. It gets stuck at DRIVERS\agp440.sys

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users