Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

question about AOL

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 znr

znr

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:53 PM

Posted 23 May 2005 - 04:28 PM

Hi all,

I currently own an AOL account, but I hate all the unecessary bleep resource-hoggers that AOL installs onto my computer, and the AOL browser and all its other capabilities suck anyway. To try to bypass all this junk I tried to go to "Network Connections" in control panel, and set up a new connection using my username, pword, and number I use to connect to AOL. It would connect, but only up to "verifying username/pword" and then it bounces back saying invalid username/password. Why does this method not work? Isn't it supposed to work as long as I have a valid internet account?

So, can anybody tell me if there is any way I can use my AOL account on a clean, new, fresh computer without installing all that bleep? Thanks a lot!!

(I am using WinXP home, by the way.)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:53 AM

Posted 23 May 2005 - 08:52 PM

I'm no expert on AOL but I don't think it works like a normal ISPs internet account. It is more like a client running on your system which interfaces with the AOL universe. You can connect with AOL and then open IE or Firefox and browse normally but that seems a little pointless.

Look to dumping AOL and get a normal account with an ISP.

Soltek QBIC, Pentium 4 3.0GHz, 512MB RAM, 200GB SATA HDD, ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB, Netgear 54Mb/s WAP, ridiculously expensive Satellite Broadband
Windows XP Home SP2, Trend Micro Internet Security, Firefox, Thunderbird, AdAwareSE, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster, A-squared Free, Ewido Security Suite.

#3 yano

yano

I can see what you post!

• Members
  • 6,469 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:53 PM

Posted 24 May 2005 - 10:53 AM

First let me start off and tell you, switch your ISP, quickly.

First: AOL forces you to use there software and all the other 'bundled' software. You can't uninstalled RealPlayer or Windows Media Player because according to it, it needs it to run.

Secondly: You cannot sign onto AOL like that. The only alternative is with AOl 9.0 SE where they let you use AOL Dial (for dial-up users). AOL Dial sits in your task bar and let's you sign on and off with just a few clicks (if you store your password). Its really easier and all you have to do is just sign on with that and then open up Firefox and there you go. :thumbsup: :flowers:

Third: It is really slow and it is not safe. Just because they say its safe doesn't mean it is. In fact most of those viruses you hear spreading on AIM are spreaded through AOL as well.

Fourth: It is not worth the money (if you have dial-up or even cable.) Why pay $24 a month when for less than half you can surf the net on dial-up. Now if your a cable user then fork over an extra 5 to 10 bucks to get a more reliable, safer, and easier internet connection.

I would strongly recommend to you switching your ISP for RoadRunner (if you want/have cable) or to Netzero/Juno (for dial-up).

Edited by yanowhiz, 24 May 2005 - 10:54 AM.

#4 Scarlett

Scarlett

Bleeping Diva

• Members
  • 7,479 posts
  •  

Posted 24 May 2005 - 11:04 AM

If you do decide to cancel AOl and switch over to another ISP. Be prepared to run into one of thier hardheaded service reps. They try everything that they can, to convince you to remain a customer. It a very annoying experience. Take it from me.

Stand your ground. It is worth it in the end.
Posted Image

#5 yano

yano

I can see what you post!

• Members
  • 6,469 posts
  •  

Posted 24 May 2005 - 06:12 PM

If you do decide to cancel AOl and switch over to another ISP. Be prepared to run into one of thier hardheaded service reps. They try everything that they can, to convince you to remain a customer. It a very annoying experience. Take it from me.

Stand your ground. It is worth it in the end.

Yes whatever you do, DO NOT stay with AOL, no matter what they say (if you decide to change), cause when my mom switched to RoadRunner. Ihad to call up AOL and tell them we didn't want it anymore. AOL is hardheaded. :thumbsup: I was just up front with them, I said "After 5 years of unsatisfactory service I would like to cancel my service with AOL." :flowers:

#6 znr

znr
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:53 PM

Posted 25 May 2005 - 10:24 PM

Wow. AOL is so stupid...

Yeah, the bundle of programs and bleep that I have to deal with every time i sign on is so annoying... I don't use any of it, yet when I open task manager there are about 8 processes associated with AOL that I cant stop.

The only reason we use AOL in the first place, is, my parents used to use BigZoo which was cheap and pretty easy and reliable, but it went out of service earlier this year. We needed some form of internet and time was short, so my mom just took one of the "free AOL for 9 months!" CDs that get mailed to us like once a month.. and installed it. So I guess I'm stuck with AOL until its not free anymore? I dunno, I'd have to check with my parents. But I voiced my complaint already, so I'll see what they come up with.

yanowhiz ... can you tell me more about that AOL SE? Can I just dump the AOL software for it? Say, I currently have an AOL account, and a new computer that doesnt have AOL installed yet (AOL is installed on the old, crappy computer and a seminew laptop). Can I just install this AOL SE onto my new computer, and log in using my AOL account? And I'll be free of all the AOL bundle bleep?

Thanks a lot for clearing this up btw... appreciate it!

#7 yano

yano

I can see what you post!

• Members
  • 6,469 posts
  •  

Posted 25 May 2005 - 10:53 PM

To get AOL 9.0 SE just goto AOL KW: upgrade (God I can't believe I remember that :thumbsup: ) Once its done downloading (should take about 3 hours on dial-up, its about 37MB (can't believe I remember that too,lol)) then follow the instructions on the screen and install the new one. :flowers:

Good Luck with this
yanowhiz

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users