Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer looks like it loads up vista, then boots to a black screen and does nothing else

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 littlesparky5

littlesparky5

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:18 AM

Posted 15 January 2009 - 02:12 PM

I have just built my first pc, and everything seemed fine, till i tried installing vista.

the parts i used are below

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/se...DE=WEBLET03SHIP

also i used an old dvd drive i had lying around till i get a new dvd burner, just to install the disk.

so this is what happens. boot it up, bios works just fine, display is showing just fine and everything boots normal, i boot to my windows vista home premium 64 bit disk for a fresh install. format the hard drive, and start installing, it does everything just fine up until it goes to restart the computer to boot it regularly and finish installation. it loads just fine, shows the windows vista bar loading and then out of nowhere it just goes black, and it does nothing else. i tried using hte disk to do a recovery, and it tells me it is a startup issue and it can't seem to fix it, but doesn't let me know whats wrong either.

i've got a ps/2 keyboard and a usb mouse, i've tried the install several times without the mouse too, not sure what else i can do. i can't figure it out for the life of me

the only operating system i did get loaded on it at one time was windows xp 32 bit edition (old disk, only has SP1) but i couldn't get any of the drivers working, and i got this system for windows vista, not xp

also tried doing windows 7 64 bit and had the same problem as vista.

any help please????

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,220 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:18 AM

Posted 15 January 2009 - 03:02 PM

Moved from Vista to System Building and Upgrading for better assisstance.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,753 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2009 - 03:21 PM

Have to ask...is this a legal version of Vista that presents you with problems?

Did you run a disk diagnostic on the hard drive?

Same for the RAM?

Just because they are new...that only means that they are new, not without possible flaws. Anything manmade can have flaws, new or not.

Louis

#4 littlesparky5

littlesparky5
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2009 - 03:24 PM

i have tried it with my legal copy and some illegal copies, not solving anything

what do i have to do to run a disk diagnostic and ram diagnostic?

also i can get it to boot into safe mode but it says " windows cannot complete the installation in safe mode. to complete, restart your computer."

Edit:
I just threw in hiren's 9.6 i've had sitting around, doing a pc diagnostic check on it now.

Edited by littlesparky5, 15 January 2009 - 03:45 PM.

#5 littlesparky5

littlesparky5
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2009 - 04:01 PM

the tests didn't seem to come back with any problems. they seem fine.

#6 My name does not fi

My name does not fi

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:18 AM

Posted 15 January 2009 - 06:30 PM

This happened to me in 32 bit Vista. Can you see a mouse?
If so then format the drive and reinstall vista.
If not, there has been several posts on the web for this. A quick google search should give you results. (I noticed this happened with a lot of 64 bit editions)
I
made
this
lines...

#7 littlesparky5

littlesparky5
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2009 - 11:30 AM

i cant see a mouse, nothing shows up at all. i tried google searching it but didnt find anything that fixed my problem. could it possibly be a motherboard issue?

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,753 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2009 - 11:58 AM

I would cease using illegal versions for install efforts...my understanding is that such often are inherent with problems which arise because of the possibly modified nature of the version.

If it were me, I would run tests on the hard drive and the memory and stick to legal versions of O/Ses.

Louis

#9 littlesparky5

littlesparky5
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2009 - 02:33 AM

i got it working, not sure how exactly, but i THINK it was a driver issue.

it wouldn't boot up unless i hit a button on the motherboard called "jcmos" which i'm pretty sure cleared out the CMOS battery and reset the defaults, but i had to do that every time before i booted up, till i installed some updated drivers for the nvidia driver update for the nivida geforce 8200, after that everything worked fine!

thank you guys for your help though, even EVGA's technical support couldn't figure it out :thumbsup: and i really don't understand the whole part with the JCMOS button, but oh well, as long as it works now

Edited by littlesparky5, 17 January 2009 - 02:34 AM.

#10 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,753 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2009 - 09:03 PM

The motherboard normally has a jumper (3 pins, with two having a jumper over them) for resetting BIOS defaults.

I think it's listed on the motherboard and manual as "JCMOS".

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users