Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Did a full reboot, all went well, now internets messed up? HELP

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Muuurph

Muuurph

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:14 PM

Posted 15 January 2009 - 01:43 PM

Alright, our computer has been being used everyday for a few years, it was so damn slow so i decided to go ahead and do a reboot, so i did, got the drivers back, put in another stick of 256mb ram...and it went hella fast, put spybot on it and then the other stuff, well it was good for almost a week now my internet is slow as death and barely loads stuff...sometimes it is a little faster, its not my connection because i have a laptop and pda so idk, im using the dell 4550. hp home, thanks guys!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Zllio

Zllio

• Members
  • 1,107 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:14 AM

Posted 15 January 2009 - 02:13 PM

Hi Muuurph,

A little clarification first. I'm not sure what you meant with reboot. Do you mean you did a reinstall or your operating system? If so, did you reformat and repartition or just reinstall windows?

Second, when you put Spybot and the other stuff on, did you make no further changes at all during that week? Did you get any updates? Did you put an antivirus on? If so, which one?

Did the problem start after you rebooted after putting something back (or new) on your computer or did it start getting slow while you were working?

Have you run a disk check? To do this, go to My Computer and open it. Then right-click on your C drive (or the drive where your operating system is located). Select the Tools tab and the first option you see on that tab is a disk check. Please have that run. It will take some time and will search the disk for bad sectors and if it finds any, it will reroute your software around it.

Also, there are tools to clean out your temporary internet files, which is one very big reason for slowness in computers. You can also clean them manually. With Internet Explorer, open it and go to the Tools tab and then Internet Options and select the General tab. The bottom two frames of that tab give you options for deleting cookies and files and history. Allow it to delete all of these.

For Firefox, you can go to Tools and Clear Private Data. Or you can also use the addon here: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/1280

Zllio

#3 Muuurph

Muuurph
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2009 - 03:19 PM

ill do the disk check, I turned the ocmputer on and it was slow, i only have spybot and do scans every day, and i reinstalled windows, took everything off the computer, i did all my updates when it slowed down.

#4 Muuurph

Muuurph
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2009 - 05:08 PM

disk check wont work because it says cant access and to restart well i restarted it twice so idk. computers are junk

#5 Zllio

Zllio

• Members
  • 1,107 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:14 AM

Posted 16 January 2009 - 04:56 AM

Hi Muuurph,

There are a number of reasons for slowness in computers. One of these is that the temporary internet files have accumulated beyond your computer's capacity. One could be malware. Another possibility is that there's a software conflict between two programs. Your RAM may be insufficient for the complexity of the programs you're running. In order to help you, we need information that is as specific as possible. Additionally, there may be flaws on your disk.

You mentioned you can't run the tool that scans the physical disk for flaws because it can't access. Was there a specific error message and if so, could you copy it down verbatim? Error messages are very helpful.

Just for information, Windows Updates do not help to speed up a computer. They redo your software to make it less vulnerable and to fix bugs.

You said the computer worked for a week and then got slow again. Did you empty the temporary files out as I requested in post #2?

For our further information, I would like for you to also do the following:

Please open the msconfig utility and look at what is running in your startup tab. To do this go to Start / Run and copy-paste or type in msconfig then click on ok.

A small window will open. Check the option Diagnostic Startup and then go to the Startup tab and look at the programs listed there. If there is any program you don't recognize, either post the name of it back here and I will tell you if you need it or not at startup, or you can look it up yourself at this link:

http://www.sysinfo.org/startuplist.php

Once we have established what programs are loading at startup, I will have you disconnect your computer from the internet and then go into msconfig again with the diagnostic startup checked and have you uncheck all programs which are not essential at startup. The reason for doing this is to see if some one program could be causing the symptoms of slowness you've been having.

The reason I will ask you to disconnect your computer when you do this is to ensure that you are able to run your computer with your antivirus and firewall and antispyware programs turned off without leaving your computer vulnerable.

Zllio

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users