Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Mouse input and other persistent symptoms

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 thefurlong

thefurlong

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:27 PM

Posted 15 January 2009 - 12:44 PM

Hello,

Thank you all for your public service. It's great that for every scumbag who decides to irresponsibly unleash his work on the internet there is an expert willing to invest his/her time to assist in eliminating it. Now that the preamble is finished--on to the problem. First, please let me explain in as much detail as I can what happened.

Around 3 weeks ago, my machine contracted some really bad malware. This immediately became apparent when Firefox began involuntarily visiting random web sites around every 10 seconds. In addition to this, install boxes would appear asking me to agree to install anti-virus software. I can't remember the exact names. One of them was Rapid Antivirus 2008. To make matters worse, I found that I could no longer visit certain websites, specifically, the usual anti-malware sites and the tech forums, nor could I update any of my antimalware programs. Whatever I had was trying to block me from accessing any tech support sites. I circumvented this by visiting Google's cached web pages for advice, and using mirror sites instead of main sites to download software. While I was able to enter Safe Mode, I was unable to do so with Networking turned on.

The process of eradicating most of the infection was lengthy. I began by downloading Malware bytes and running a full scan, which, though finding quite a few infections, was unsuccessful in eliminating the entire infection. I also downloaded Spyware Doctor and SuperAntispyware and ran them. Basically, I ran whatever I could get my hand on, including Windows Defender. I used Hijack This to remove suspicious looking "run Dll" commands. I confirmed that they were probably harmful because I looked the names of the Dll's up on Google and couldn't find a single thing about them. Finally, I ran ATF_Cleaner to clean extraneous settings from my computer.

Eventually, I managed to clear most, if not all the infection from my machine, after running Malwarebytes a second time. However, there are some lingering effects. The most apparent is that I get this yellow popup box from Symantec Antivirus telling me that auto-protect is disabled. After researching this online, I believe that my virus definition files are corrupted. However, I have been unable to fix this problems, even after taking the steps that Symantec suggested to fix this problem.

Another thing that happens is that I will occasionally here the "windows error" sound, but no windows error dialog accompanying it.

Finally, even though the mouse mostly functions correctly, there are conditions under which it does not. Sometimes, for example, when I click on a window in a program, focus will actually shift away from it and I have to summon the task manager in order to be able to click on the window again. However, this happens infrequently.

This is not the case with a specific set of programs. I have been trying to learn Qt Open Source, and downloaded it from Trolltec's site along with the MinGW compiler, demos, and assistant. Unfortunately, when I attempt to use the designer, assistant or demos program, the mouse becames strangely unresponsive and in specific ways.

For instance, when I use the Qt Designer, which is an API for creating Gui's, I find that though I can drag components onto a mainform, I am then unable to select them. Also, many things, like the main menu will not respond to mouse input.

I would appreciate any help you have to give greatly. I already downloaded and ran DDS, and have the logs, so let me know if you want them. Thank you.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:27 PM

Posted 15 January 2009 - 08:24 PM

You have done most everything thing we can do in this particular forum
HJT w/ DDs belongs in a different forum
---------------------------------------
Follow the instructions and prepare a HJT log, here:
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/34773/preparation-guide-for-use-before-using-malware-removal-tools-and-requesting-help/
Then post the log in the proper form here:
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/f/22/virus-trojan-spyware-and-malware-removal-logs/
Our team members are rather busy, so it may take a while to get to you
Be patient and good luck
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users