Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Boot.ini, NTDETECT.COM and ntldr - error

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 tim_ver

tim_ver

• Members
  • 125 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:37 PM

Posted 15 January 2009 - 12:37 PM

I have a PC with XP pro on it and it just today gave me on a boot up - NTLDR: Fatal error 256 reading boot.ini

So I did the boot disk with the three files on it (Boot.ini, NTDETECT.COM and ntldr). It started and got to the choice screen for boot up I selected xp pro and then I got this error:
Can not find - hal.dll, So I took the hdd and hooked it up as a slave in another pc and looked in the folders/directories and all the files are there. What the heck is going on?

How do I fix this issue?

I can not afford to loose data so I would prefer not to have to format/reinstall. Many programs on the hdd are old and I can not find the install programs.

Thanks Much

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,754 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2009 - 02:54 PM

Hi :thumbsup:.

I would try running the fixboot and fixmbr commands from the XP Recovery Console, myself. If neither/both of these proved effective, I would try bootcfg /rebuild.

Here is another opinion: http://121space.com/index.php?showtopic=2104

There seem to be a number of different opionions on how to overcome this.

Louis

#3 tim_ver

tim_ver
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 125 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2009 - 03:35 PM

So to do these options I would boot from the xp pro cd and select recovery console?

Thanks

#4 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:37 AM

Posted 15 January 2009 - 07:12 PM

So to do these options I would boot from the xp pro cd and select recovery console?

Yes
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#5 tim_ver

tim_ver
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 125 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2009 - 09:00 PM

Ok I tried the link you gave above and went through the recommended Microsoft way and now I get the error that the Hal.dll is missing or corrupt.

I want to try this in the above link but I do not understand all the steps. I Need a little more guidance or if you have another idea on how to fix this new error on boot.

The other way on the link is:

* Boot from your XP Setup CD and enter the Recovery Console
* Run "Attrib -H -R -S" on the C:\Boot.ini file
* Delete the C:\Boot.ini file
* Run "Bootcfg /Rebuild"
* Run Fixboot

Thanks

Edited by tim_ver, 15 January 2009 - 09:00 PM.

#6 tim_ver

tim_ver
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 125 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2009 - 12:59 AM

Ok, now I have got it to start the boot up but when it gets almost to the desktop I get this error:

Bad Image C:\windows\system\avfrsstx.dll is not a valid windows image. And I can not even click ok as it locks up at this point.

Arghhhh so close now what do I need to do to get past this issue?

Thanks much!

:thumbsup:

#7 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:37 AM

Posted 16 January 2009 - 01:04 AM

That sounds like the leftovers of a virus infection. Can you boot into Safe Mode?

[EDIT]

If you actually meant avgrsstx.dll it is related to AVG. You could try uninstalling AVG is Safe Mode.

Edited by Budapest, 16 January 2009 - 01:12 AM.

The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users