Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Question about dual boot.

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 dsage

dsage

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:06 PM

Posted 15 January 2009 - 12:19 PM

Currently, I have XP SP 2. How can I partition my hard drive so I can dual boot the XP and the Windows 7. After the partition, can the Windows 7 access the programs and files that have been installed/ stored under XP? I wanna how to do that.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 bruinator

bruinator

• Members
  • 494 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2009 - 12:52 PM

I think both OS's must be turned on in order to do so but I could be wrong so don't hold me to it.

#3 snooker

snooker

• Members
  • 89 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:06 PM

Posted 15 January 2009 - 01:38 PM

Currently, I have XP SP 2. How can I partition my hard drive so I can dual boot the XP and the Windows 7. After the partition, can the Windows 7 access the programs and files that have been installed/ stored under XP? I wanna how to do that.

Hi , You could use this program below to partition your drive

http://www.partition-tool.com/personal.htm

Now you can view files/folders and data within Windows XP from Windows 7 but you can't use the programs installed on XP from Windows 7

Edited by snooker, 15 January 2009 - 01:38 PM.

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,089 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2009 - 02:04 PM

You need separate partitions for each OS (and that are large enough for each OS) - so you'll need one for XP and one for Win7 (plus any others that happen to be on your hard drive at this point).

Make sure that your system is able to handle Windows Vista (so it'll handle Win7)
Then install Win7 to the new partition. The boot manager should automatically detect and include Windows XP in the boot selection menu.

You can access the XP partition in Win7 - but may need to change permissions to access the data there (in other words, you may get an Access Denied error when trying to access the files).
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 dsage

dsage
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2009 - 02:59 PM

Is there any way that I can still run the program that I installed under XP? It's pretty useless install Win7 with nothing on it.

#6 snooker

snooker

• Members
  • 89 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2009 - 03:37 PM

Is there any way that I can still run the program that I installed under XP? It's pretty useless install Win7 with nothing on it.

What ever programs you want would have to be redownloaded into Windows 7 for them to be use under W7, Also they have to be compatible with windows 7 . If these programs you want are able to work under Vista ? Then they should be able to work under Windows 7 . In any case just try to install them under Windows 7 and see what happen .

Edited by snooker, 15 January 2009 - 06:00 PM.

#7 snooker

snooker

• Members
  • 89 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2009 - 03:48 PM

You can access the XP partition in Win7 - but may need to change permissions to access the data there (in other words, you may get an Access Denied error when trying to access the files).

Is that for XP or you meant for Vista ? I'm not sure whether I did notice this for XP but I did for Vista

Edited by snooker, 15 January 2009 - 03:49 PM.

#8 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,089 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2009 - 06:55 PM

The compatibility wizard for Windows 7 contains settings for both Vista and XP.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#9 LoneIWolf

LoneIWolf

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:06 PM

Posted 22 January 2009 - 12:45 PM

I have it installed, but there are some compatibility issues. I run delphi 7 for programming in windows xp, and even in compatibility mode it will not work in windows 7. All other programs have been fine, despite a bit of trouble with a soundcard driver but its all sorted now.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users