Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

WINXP Won't Boot into Safe Mode

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Cassiopeia

Cassiopeia

• Members
  • 229 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:45 AM

Posted 15 January 2009 - 11:26 AM

My pc has been acting strange. One morning, at boot up, I noticed that the splash screen was showing up in spurts instead of smoothly. Also, the pc has not been shutting down completely. The monitor turns off, but the hard drive was still active. In addition, the pc has been running slower than usual.

I have a Dell Dimension 8300 with 1 GB RAM; running Windows XP SP 2. My antivirus is AVG subscription and is current. My ISP is AT&T.

I used Secure Clean from White Mountain to clean some files, but the shut down and start up issue were prior to that. It's why I used it.

Today, I decided to boot into safe mode to run my antivirus scanner. The pc got as far as agp.sys and a splash across the bottom read, "press esc to cancel sptd.sys from loading".

Doing nothing and pressing esc both result in nothing further happening with the pc. I waited at least five minutes.

The pc will boot normally, but not into safe mode.

:thumbsup:

This makes no sense to me. I have had pcs that will start in safe mode and not normal, but not the reverse.

Also, I run Spybot, CleanUP!, and Ad-aware on a regular basis.

Thanks, Cass.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,489 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:45 AM

Posted 15 January 2009 - 11:44 AM

Try running System Restore with a date prior to your problem. If this doesn't help then you may have an infection, if this is the case then this topic should be moved to the Am I Infected forum.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 Cassiopeia

Cassiopeia
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 229 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:45 AM

Posted 15 January 2009 - 12:35 PM

If I could have determined when the problem actually began, that would have been my first option.

I just asked a simple question and, once again, I get a response that is not relevant.

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,489 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2009 - 01:19 PM

If you find my suggestions to be irrelevant I will be glad to cease trying to be of assistance.

Have a nice day. :thumbsup:

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 Meenuh

Meenuh

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2009 - 01:23 PM

I had the same exact problem. It just wouldn't let me go into safe mode. What I did to get into safe mode was I turned my computer off just as windows was loading and then turned it back on.

Also, i'm not sure but I think i'm having the same problem with turning the computer off too. I'm not sure if my boss is just being forgetful or what but he can't seem to remember specifically if he turned it off or not. I asked him and he said he did and then he said he didn't but maybe he did but the computer stayed on ... yeah .. i'll stop rambling now. :thumbsup:

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,489 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2009 - 01:35 PM

What I did to get into safe mode was I turned my computer off just as windows was loading and then turned it back on.

That is a good way to damage files.

#7 Meenuh

Meenuh

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2009 - 02:11 PM

What I did to get into safe mode was I turned my computer off just as windows was loading and then turned it back on.

That is a good way to damage files.

That was the only way I was able to boot into safe mode. It was either that or stay blue screened forever.

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,753 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:45 AM

Posted 15 January 2009 - 03:02 PM

You may be interested in this: http://www.greatis.com/security/What%20is%...3%23%23.sys.htm

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/startups/sptd-13477.html

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users